Public Health /
Biobot, a leader in wastewater-based epidemiology, is seeking a new team member for the Epidemiology Group inside our larger Data Science Team. As a Quantitative Epidemiologist, you will identify and tackle the most important analytical problems and questions arising from wastewater data, with an emphasis on how these data can be better used for improving human health and improving customer experience.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities (What you will be doing):
- Identify the most important analytical problems in wastewater data
- Scope multiple potential approaches to complex analytical problems, including applying existing epidemiology methods to the new field of wastewater-based epidemiology
- Execute on analyses efficiently and progressively, building team-wide conviction about results and their implications
- Collaborate effectively with scientists and non-scientists, inside and outside the Epi Group
- Work independently and prioritize among multiple important tasks, including customer-specific analyses on short deadlines
- Be a flexible team player
Education and/or Work Experience Requirements (What you need to succeed):
- 5+ years experience in analysis of public health or other human health data
- Expertise in statistical, analytical, and data science methods, including advanced regression, bootstrapping, nonparametric statistics, simulation, likelihood or Bayesian modeling, and compartmental or agent-based modeling
- PhD, or comparable combination of education and experience, in epidemiology, health sciences, biostatistics, bioengineering, or a related field
- Mastery of R and proficiency in Python, OR mastery of Python and willingness to shepherd R users to a Python world
- Proficiency in software development concepts like version control (git) and software packaging
- Willingness to develop expertise in both infectious disease epidemiology and substance use epidemiology
- Ability to communicate the health and business implications of complex analyses to non-scientific audiences
Education and/or Work Experience Bonuses (What will help you succeed):
- Expertise in infectious disease epidemiology or substance use epidemiology
- Expertise in addressing bias and confounding in epidemiological analyses
- Expertise in public health, such as work experience or an MPH
- Experience in environmental health or wastewater systems
- Experience with software development tools and frameworks like AWS, CI, test-driven development, and containerization
- Interest in mentoring or managing other epidemiologists or data scientists
Physical Requirements and Special Demands:
- Standing or sitting for several hours at a time
- Listening and speaking clearly on video conferencing for several hours a day
Free medical, dental, and vision insurance for employees and their families, including a $0 deductible medical plan. We want our employees to manage their health and that of their families without worrying about high premiums or deductibles.
Unlimited PTO with 3 week minimum. Whether it's playing MTG or D&D, singing on stage, camping, raising chickens, or anything else that inspires, we want our employees to unplug and explore their passions.
12 weeks parental leave at 100% pay. We love Biobabies and know that bonding with a new child is a critical need for employees and Biobabies alike.
3% Biobot 401k contribution. Regardless of whether our employees contribute, we contribute 3% of salaries into participating employees' 401k accounts because we want to support their long-term financial goals.
$500 home office stipend for remote employees; free parking + commuter benefits and free meals for lab employees. Onsite or at home, we ensure our employees' workspace is set up for success.
At Biobot, we are working together to build a team environment in which everyone can thrive and is proud to belong. We are an equal opportunity employer and our goal is to be a diverse team that is representative, at all job levels, of the society we live in. We encourage applications from candidates of all identities and backgrounds, including those who are traditionally underrepresented in technology startups.
Our mission is to transform wastewater infrastructure into public health observatories.
Named as one of Fast Company’s most innovative companies in the world in 2021, Biobot Analytics is a wastewater epidemiology company and uses technology developed at MIT to measure biomarkers in sewage to better understand population health in cities. We first launched an opioid product to support government and public health officials in responding to the opioid epidemic, and in 2020 launched a Covid19 product to estimate the scope and trend of the outbreak in communities. We have operated in almost 500 communities across 43 U.S. states, generating Covid19 case estimates for over 13% of the U.S. population.
Battling the opioid epidemic and now the Covid19 pandemic is just the beginning - we’re transforming sewage into a data asset and building a public health database. Eventually, Biobot data will be an early warning system for disease outbreaks, a map of nutrition disparities, and more. Headquartered in the Boston area with an office in NYC, we aim to create the bedrock of human health infrastructure and smart cities in countries across all six continents.
Please note that we are unable to sponsor work visas at this time.