Research Associate III - Chemistry
Biobot Analytics leverages wastewater analysis to inform public health decision making through wastewater based epidemiology. The environmental analytical chemistry group at Biobot develops and deploys methods for the trace-level analysis of biomarkers in wastewater. The chemistry research associate will work closely with research scientists to develop new methodologies and perform analysis of customer samples. To be successful in this role, the desired candidate has a working knowledge of environmental sample preparation and independent experience operating high-performance liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry (HPLC-MS/MS) instruments and analyzing raw chromatographic data.
The incumbent will receive hands-on training and mentoring from senior scientists and exposure to state-of-the-art instrumentation and techniques. Biobot offers an exciting, fast-paced, and dynamic work-place with attractive benefits. Competitive candidates will be passionate about Biobot’s mission of building resilient and inclusive public health infrastructure by turning our sewers into early warning health observatories and will be eager to build a career in environmental analytical chemistry.
What you will be doing
- Submitting and monitoring sample batches in our analytical pipeline.
- Performing chromatographic peak review and initial QC of analytical data
- Troubleshooting and maintaining analytical equipment and instruments
- Optimizing existing analytical methods
- Tracking sample processing and analysis using a laboratory information management system (LIMS)
- Aiding the preparation of wastewater samples(e.g., filtration, solid phase extraction)
- Assisting in the preparation of stock solutions and standard curves for multiresidue analysis.
- Helping prepare laboratory SOPs.
What you need to succeed
- A bachelor’s or master’s degree in chemistry, environmental science, environmental engineering, or a related degree in a life science
- 1 year experience in an academic research or industry laboratory
- At least 1 year of demonstrated independence operating and maintaining LC-MS/MS instrumentation and analyzing the resultant data.
- Satisfactory completion of course work in organic chemistry, analytical chemistry, and instrumental analysis
- Ability to communicate effectively through oral presentations and written reports
- Ability to document lab work in a consistent and detailed manner.
What will help you succeed
- Coursework or training in environmental chemistry
- Experience collecting and processing environmental water samples for trace organic analysis
- Hands-on experience in analytical chromatography and mass spectrometry (ideally HPLC-MS/MS)
- Understanding of quality control/quality assurance measures for results (e.g., continuing calibration verification, chromatographic peak review)
- Familiarity with isotope dilution mass spectrometry
- Prior experience with ThermoScientific software “TraceFinder”.
At Biobot, we are working together to build a team environment in which everyone can thrive and is proud to belong. We are an equal opportunity employer and our goal is to be a diverse team that is representative, at all job levels, of the society we live in. We encourage applications from candidates of all identities and backgrounds, including those who are traditionally underrepresented in technology startups.
Our mission is to transform wastewater infrastructure into public health observatories.
Named as one of Fast Company’s most innovative companies in the world in 2021, Biobot Analytics is a wastewater epidemiology company and uses technology developed at MIT to measure biomarkers in sewage to better understand population health in cities. We first launched an opioid product to support government and public health officials in responding to the opioid epidemic, and in 2020 launched a Covid19 product to estimate the scope and trend of the outbreak in communities. We have operated in almost 500 communities across 43 U.S. states, generating Covid19 case estimates for over 13% of the U.S. population.
Battling the opioid epidemic and now the Covid19 pandemic is just the beginning - we’re transforming sewage into a data asset and building a public health database. Eventually, Biobot data will be an early warning system for disease outbreaks, a map of nutrition disparities, and more. Headquartered in the Boston area with an office in NYC, we aim to create the bedrock of human health infrastructure and smart cities in countries across all six continents.
Please note that we are unable to sponsor work visas at this time.