Head of Data
Boston, NYC, or Bay Area /
Biobot Analytics is a wastewater epidemiology company and uses technology developed at MIT to measure human health in sewage to understand population health in cities.
In this role you will be responsible for defining, organizing and leading our data science team and strategy. You will work with key stakeholders across the company from lab, science, business and product development teams to harvest our growing data set to offer unique insights that can be packaged and offered to customers through a suite of differentiated digital product offerings.
What You’ll Do
- Define and grow Biobot’s data team. Establish team processes, foster a data-driven culture across the organization, and propel Biobot as a leader in data science, public health, and data for social impact.
- Develop strategic roadmaps for Biobot’s data products, identifying new opportunities for wastewater-based data to have impact and where we can leverage other existing data to add value to our unique wastewater dataset.
- Establish best practices for data science at Biobot, including tracking and sharing exploratory data analyses, versioning data, sharing insights across the organization, and communicating our work publicly to relevant communities.
- Develop statistical models to interpret variability in our data and extract community health insights, and lead analytics efforts to respond to customer feedback and questions. Collaborate with our team of molecular biologists, analytical chemists, computational biologists, and environmental engineers to ensure that our data science models are informed by and reflective of our technology’s underlying scientific foundations.
- Supervise and manage a team of data engineers developing robust data pipelines which process our data into community health insights presented to our customers. Work with our Product and Software team to build APIs and develop customer-facing reports, ranging from interactive visualizations to pdf reports.
- Establish best practices in data collection, curation, and management across the organization. Incorporate best practices around data equity and representation into decision-making processes at all levels of the organization.
- Participate heavily with the Biobot executive team and peers, help set business strategy, represent product data science, initiate and debate key strategic topics and opportunities from your team’s work, and drive bold high-impact decisions.
- Ph.D. or Master's degree with 10+ years of relevant experience in data science, applied statistics, epidemiology, geospatial analysis, computational biology, or related. Exceptional candidates without an advanced degree but with a demonstrated history of equivalent relevant experience are encouraged to apply.
- 5+ years of experience in managing and mentoring data science and engineering teams in a high scale technology company. Exceptional track record as a strong and inclusive coach, providing feedback and mentoring to fellow team members.
- Experience developing algorithms and performing data analyses on complex noisy datasets, preferably with expertise in at least one of Bayesian statistics, signal processing, time series analysis, geospatial analysis and/or related concepts. Familiarity with basic biological concepts and data analyses is highly desired.
- A working knowledge of either Python or R, with a mastery of one or both languages, is required.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate complex analytical and scientific concepts across a broad range of audiences, including the public, customers, company executives, and in-house technical experts.
- Strong understanding of regulations which govern clinical and epidemiological data systems, including requirements for data privacy, accuracy, and security. Knowledge of best practices and high-quality data sources, especially as it relates to public health and population data.
- Define and drive execution against core KPIs that govern the team’s progress, measurement of impact and effectiveness against company and team goals..
- Ability to lead organizational change by influencing others across various functions and navigating the team through new processes and/or technical advances.
- Familiarity with modern software engineering best practices, including iterative/agile development, scientific software development lifecycles, version control, troubleshooting and testing is a must, as is the ability to make project decisions independently.
- Knowledge of Cloud containerization, RESTful web service development and relational database design is highly desired.
- Familiarity with basic computational biology and bioinformatics concepts, including analysis of next-generation sequencing data and/or metabolomics datasets.
At Biobot, we believe that the best technologists can improve society and we strive to build a workplace in which everyone can thrive. Our goal is to be a diverse team that is representative, at all job levels, of the society we live in. We encourage applications from women; non-binary, trans, and gender-non conforming individuals; Black and indigenous individuals, and people from other minoritized racial and ethnic groups; and other groups traditionally underrepresented in technology startups.