Director of Data Science
US Only (Remote Ok) /
In this role you will be responsible for defining and leading the strategy for our growing data science team and data products. You will work with key stakeholders within the company and thought leaders outside the company to propel Biobot as a leader in data science, public health, and data for social impact.
This is a remote role, but quarterly (or more frequent) travel to our Boston and NYC offices is required.
What you will be doing
- Develop a vision for how we will use data to drive Biobot’s products forward.
- Collaborate with leadership and other departments at Biobot to strategically align the Data Science team’s work with the company’s business strategy.
- Represent the Data Science team with Biobot leadership to drive high-impact product and strategy decisions.
- Lead a team that is inventing and implementing new ways to use wastewater data for public health.
- Define and drive execution against core KPIs that govern the team’s progress with respect to company-wide goals.
- Grow and mentor Data Science’s scientific managers and senior data scientists, epidemiologists, and computational biologists.
What you will need to succeed
- Proven track record of conceptualizing data products and driving them to market offering.
- 7+ years of experience in data science, applied statistics, epidemiology, geospatial analysis, computational biology, or related fields.
- 7+ years of experience in science and scientific research in biology, computational biology, chemistry, or related fields.
- 4+ years of experience in managing and mentoring research or engineering teams in a high-scale technology company.
- Exceptional track record as a strong and inclusive coach, providing feedback and mentoring to fellow team members.
- A mastery of Python, or a mastery of R with a working knowledge of Python.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate complex analytical and scientific concepts across a broad range of audiences.
- Demonstrated ability to promote a data-drive culture across an organization.
What will help you succeed
- Familiarity with modern software engineering best practices, such as agile development, scientific software development lifecycles, version control, and troubleshooting and testing.
- Experience developing algorithms and performing data analyses on complex noisy datasets, such as Bayesian statistics, signal processing, time series analysis, or geospatial analysis.
- Familiarity with computational biology and bioinformatics concepts, such as analysis of next-generation sequencing data, and targeted or untargeted metabolomics.
- An understanding of regulations and best practices that govern epidemiological data systems, including requirements for data privacy, accuracy, and security.
Some of our benefits
- Unlimited PTO
- 401k with 3% employer contribution
- 100% employer-paid medical and dental insurance
- Competitive compensation and equity options
- And so much more!
At Biobot, we are working together to build a team environment in which everyone can thrive and is proud to belong. We are an equal opportunity employer and our goal is to be a diverse team that is representative, at all job levels, of the society we live in. We encourage applications from candidates of all identities and backgrounds, including those who are traditionally underrepresented in technology startups.
Our mission is to transform wastewater infrastructure into public health observatories.
Named as one of Fast Company’s most innovative companies in the world in 2021, Biobot Analytics is a wastewater epidemiology company and uses technology developed at MIT to measure biomarkers in sewage to better understand population health in cities. We first launched an opioid product to support government and public health officials in responding to the opioid epidemic, and in 2020 launched a Covid19 product to estimate the scope and trend of the outbreak in communities. We have operated in almost 500 communities across 43 U.S. states, generating Covid19 case estimates for over 13% of the U.S. population.
Battling the opioid epidemic and now the Covid19 pandemic is just the beginning - we’re transforming sewage into a data asset and building a public health database. Eventually, Biobot data will be an early warning system for disease outbreaks, a map of nutrition disparities, and more. Headquartered in the Boston area with an office in NYC, we aim to create the bedrock of human health infrastructure and smart cities in countries across all six continents.
Please note that we are unable to sponsor work visas at this time.