Software Engineer, Data
New York, NY; Boston, MA; Remote /
Biobot’s mission is to build resilient and inclusive public health infrastructure by turning our sewers into early warning health observatories. During the COVID-19 pandemic, Biobot pioneered wastewater analysis (based on what is excreted in urine and stool) as a tool for tracking the progression of the virus through communities. We are now the leader in pathogen detection for community-level and building wastewater, as evidenced by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services’ recent award to sponsor COVID-19 monitoring by Biobot of over 300 hundred wastewater treatment plants representing over 100M people. Since the Company’s founding in 2017 from a Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) laboratory, we have been building capabilities to combat public health crises like the opioid epidemic, and plan to expand our early warning platform to serve as a resource management hub for disease, nutrition disparities, and more. Please note that Biobot is unable to sponsor employment visas.
We are looking for a Software Engineer to help our data engineering team design data pipelines as we launch new products, support the development and maintenance of Biobot’s existing Covid-19 data pipeline, and provide critical insight as you work with our software and product team to scale and deploy our infrastructure.
In this role you will:
- Design frameworks for building data analysis pipelines across a variety of product offerings and data types, including qPCR, targeted mass spectrometry, and next-generation sequencing data with our data team.
- Lead database and codebase design decisions for existing and new data pipelines.
- Design, develop, and implement a novel wastewater Lab Information Management System (LIMS) with our lab team.
- Integrate Biobot’s data into our customer-facing software platform and public data visualizations and establish ETL processes to ingest external population health datasets that add context to Biobot’s wastewater data.
- Implement best practices for version control, code review, testing, and collaboration in a remote working environment.
- Provide strategic insights to company leadership as we expand Biobot’s “data as a product” model.
Who you are:
- 4+ years of experience in a software, data engineering, or similar role, with data pipeline projects from design to implementation and maintenance required.
- Experience designing data pipelines for scientific data, including but not limited to molecular biology (qPCR, next-generation sequencing, etc) and/or chemistry data (targeted LC-MS/MS).
- Technical expertise in:
- Python, pandas and object-oriented design
- Relational data modeling for transactional and analytical systems (Postgres and Redshift or similar)
- ETL-based data pipelinesAWS cloud infrastructure (S3, EC2, Lambda, Step Functions, etc)
- Data governance
Nice to have:
- Previous start-up experience
- Experience leading a technical team or mentoring junior engineers
- Technical proficiency in:
- Big data analytics (Spark, EMR, Athena, etc)
- RESTful services
- NodeJS and React/Redux
- Docker and Kubernetes (or similar)
Last and certainly not least:
- At Biobot, we believe that the best technologists can improve society and we strive to build a workplace in which everyone can thrive. Our goal is to be a diverse team that is representative, at all job levels, of the society we live in. We encourage applications from women; non-binary, trans, and gender-non conforming individuals; Black and indigenous individuals, and people from other minority racial and ethnic groups; and other groups traditionally underrepresented in technology startups.
- To learn more about Biobot, check out some recent press: https://www.biobot.io/media.