Chemistry Research Associate
Cambridge, MA /
Biobot Analytics transforms sewers into public health observatories.
We are looking for someone to help us relaunch our opioid product. Your main duty will be to perform lab work to prepare wastewater samples for high-performance liquid chromatography tandem mass spectrometry analysis. This is a temporary full-time contract position, starting immediately, with the potential for long-term employment. Hours of work are, but not limited to, Monday through Friday from 9am-5pm (an expected 40 hours per week).
Please note that Biobot Analytics is classified as a public health essential service and this position requires being physically present at Biobot for job duties during the COVID19 outbreak.
- Work safely in a BSL2 laboratory environment.
- Perform established and approved sample preparation protocols (e.g. pasteurization, filtration, solid-phase extraction, etc.)
- Prepare mixtures of certified reference materials. Prepare calibration curves of drug reference standards. Prepare QC samples. Prepare batches of samples for HPLC-MS/MS analysis.
- Perform basic maintenance tasks on HPLC-MS/MS such as preparing fresh mobile phases, discarding hazardous chemical waste, monitoring gases, etc.
- Assist with experiments as needed.
- Inventory reference standards and other materials.
- Maintain a clean and organized workspace.
Skills & Requirements
- B.S. in chemistry or related field.
- Prior experience with laboratory bench work, ideally in analytical chemistry or wastewater epidemiology.
- Ability to successfully carry out established laboratory protocols.
- The drive and experience to improve protocols for efficiency and safety.
- Exquisite attention to detail, including good pipetting techniques.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- (Optional) Experience with liquid chromatography, gas chromatography, and/or mass spectrometry.
Job Location: Cambridge, MA
Position: Full Time, hourly.
Compensation: $16 - $20 per hour, commensurate with experience.
About Biobot Analytics
Biobot Analytics uses technology developed at MIT to transform city sewers into public health observatories. This data will give communities a dynamic map of the opioid epidemic. Headquartered in the Boston area, we aim to create the bedrock of human health infrastructure and smart cities in countries across all six continents.