Production Manager, Analytical Chemistry
Cambridge, MA /
Lab Operations /
At Biobot Analytics, our mission is to transform wastewater infrastructure into public health observatories. Inspired by the potential of wastewater epidemiology, Biobot Analytics is the first company in the world to commercialize data from sewage. Headquartered in the Boston area, we aim to extend our wastewater epidemiology platform across the globe with new capabilities and data packages to offer.
The Manager, Analytical Chemistry is a leadership role on Biobot’s analytical chemistry team, where your primary responsibility will be to lead the bioanalytical chemistry lab and team members to ensure that we deliver best-in-class results for our customers. You will interact with the lab operations, data, R&D, CX, and engineering teams to improve quality and efficiency. You will ensure that the laboratory has the capacity to accommodate Biobot’s growth of our customer base and our product offerings.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities (What you will be doing):
- Oversee Analytical Chemistry lab operations:
- Manage the daily work activities in the laboratory to ensure adequate coverage to accommodate workload to ensure turn-around-time goals are met.
- Monitor daily workflow in the lab, plan/ schedule for adequate assay coverage, and troubleshoot/ escalate problems, as necessary
- Develop mastery of all assays in product portfolio and maintain quality and thoroughness to result in optimum TAT and efficiency.
- Responsible for maintaining deep understanding of the process, techniques, instrumentation and underlying scientific principles to troubleshoot and optimize assays and instrumentation, as needed. Provide technical troubleshooting and decision making.
- Assist with monitoring sample progression and respond to sample status inquiries as needed
- Coordinate with cross-departmental teams to ensure data and reporting quality control and continuity
- Maintain review of operations metrics.
- Participate in Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS) development, implementation, quality control processes.
- Develop plan for physical space requirements, and capital procurement, and expense budgets over multiple year/budget horizons
- Implement and support EH&S standards and procedures and hold team members accountable
- Collaborate with internal teams, vendors and others as needed to resolve issues, maintain ongoing functionality and document service, project management and repair work.
- Maintain vendor contracts and ensure scheduled/preventative maintenance and/or qualification is completed in a timely manner
- Cultivate a high performing team:
- Responsible for supervising and performance managing a team of up to 4 junior staff.
- Mentor junior staff in laboratory safety, use of equipment and proper laboratory procedures.
- Provide guidance to direct reports and across functional groups within the organization.
- Assist with the hiring of qualified, enthusiastic employees, including technical and non-technical team members.
- Meet regularly with direct reports to provide coaching, constructive feedback, and career development discussions
- Write and deliver performance reviews and build a positive team environment
- Continuous Improvement Initiatives:
- Engage in continuous process and service improvement.
- Evaluate new process improvements and make appropriate recommendations based on thorough evaluation of technical, quality and efficiency impact
- Write, collaborate, revise and review SOPs as needed to adjust for process improvement initiatives and new assay releases.
- Lead the support of evaluation of new instrumentation, analytical methods and lab procedures.
- Coordinates and oversees assay and equipment validations and qualifications.
- Support implementation of laboratory automation to increase testing capacity
- Support development of new assays; work with R&D to develop, qualify, and transfer analytical methods as applicable.
- Lead investigations for failures during testing; perform troubleshooting, process development or improvement activities.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education and/or Work Experience Requirements (What you need to succeed):
- Undergraduate degree in a relevant scientific field
- 5+ years of experience working in an analytical chemistry lab with demonstrated success operating LC-MS instrumentation for trace small molecule analysis / bioanalysis
- 3+ years of supervisory experience in an industrial or research laboratory setting
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Enthusiasm, independence and a willingness to learn in a fast-paced, team environment
Education and/or Work Experience Bonuses (What will help you succeed):
- Experience overseeing complex high volume laboratory operations.
- Experience with both biology and chemistry lab processes and requirements, including LC-MS, qPCR and NGS
- Experience working with databases and Laboratory Information Management Systems (LIMS)
- Knowledge of laboratory safety protocols.
- In a leadership or management capacity, providing training, feedback, mentorship to junior staff.
- Familiarity with high through-put platforms and common laboratory equipment (pipettes, automated liquid handlers, etc.)
- Driving complex projects in the face of ambiguity.
- Proficiency using Google Suite
Physical Requirements and Special Demands:
- Must be able to work while standing for extended periods of time.
- On occasion, lift and organize supplies up to 25 lbs.
Free medical, dental, and vision insurance for employees and their families, including a $0 deductible medical plan. We want our employees to manage their health and that of their families without worrying about high premiums or deductibles.
Unlimited PTO with 3 week minimum. Whether it's playing MTG or D&D, singing on stage, camping, raising chickens, or anything else that inspires, we want our employees to unplug and explore their passions.
12 weeks parental leave at 100% pay. We love Biobabies and know that bonding with a new child is a critical need for employees and Biobabies alike.
3% Biobot 401k contribution. Regardless of whether our employees contribute, we contribute 3% of salaries into participating employees' 401k accounts because we want to support their long-term financial goals.
$500 home office stipend for remote employees; free parking + commuter benefits and free meals for lab employees. Onsite or at home, we ensure our employees' workspace is set up for success.
At Biobot, we are working together to build a team environment in which everyone can thrive and is proud to belong. We are an equal opportunity employer and our goal is to be a diverse team that is representative, at all job levels, of the society we live in. We encourage applications from candidates of all identities and backgrounds, including those who are traditionally underrepresented in technology startups.
Our mission is to transform wastewater infrastructure into public health observatories.
Named as one of Fast Company’s most innovative companies in the world in 2021, Biobot Analytics is a wastewater epidemiology company and uses technology developed at MIT to measure biomarkers in sewage to better understand population health in cities. We first launched an opioid product to support government and public health officials in responding to the opioid epidemic, and in 2020 launched a Covid19 product to estimate the scope and trend of the outbreak in communities. We have operated in almost 500 communities across 43 U.S. states, generating Covid19 case estimates for over 13% of the U.S. population.
Battling the opioid epidemic and now the Covid19 pandemic is just the beginning - we’re transforming sewage into a data asset and building a public health database. Eventually, Biobot data will be an early warning system for disease outbreaks, a map of nutrition disparities, and more. Headquartered in the Boston area with an office in NYC, we aim to create the bedrock of human health infrastructure and smart cities in countries across all six continents.
Please note that we are unable to sponsor work visas at this time.