Molecular Biology Group Leader
Cambridge, MA /
The Molecular Biology Group Leader will be responsible for leading our Molecular Biology R&D team and its projects - developing new assays (largely NGS-based) to detect pathogens in wastewater samples for public health. You will directly manage a team of scientists who will be exploring new research directions, testing and optimizing methodologies, and running pilots with our customers. We need you to develop our team, to put processes in place to ensure success, and to coordinate with the rest of the company, giving the molecular biology team’s perspective on products and priorities.
What you will be doing
- Lead the development of new molecular biology assays in wastewater, guiding a team through all steps of the process including initial exploration, validation, optimization, piloting and technology transfer
- Manage a group of scientists at a variety of levels, developing the team through growth opportunities, career mentoring and recruiting.
- Put in place project management best practices for an agile research and development team, including scoping, timeline development and tracking
- Work with senior scientists to ensure the technical quality of the group’s work, and identify and lead improvements in group practices and protocols
- Be the voice of the team, providing technical input and advocating for team needs with company leadership
What you need to succeed
- PhD in molecular biology or adjacent field with at least 5 years industry experience in sequencing-based assay development OR MS with at least 10 years industry experience in sequencing-based assay development
- 2+ years people management experience, including with recruiting and professional development
- 2+ years experience in research project management
- Strong organizational and communication skills, including with non-technical colleagues
- Ability to evaluate methods, identify trade-offs and, when necessary, say no
What will help you succeed
- Experience working with non-clinical sample types
- Experience working with difficult sample matrices or low abundance targets
- Experience with pathogen genomics
- Experience working with commercial teams, product managers and software engineers
- Familiarity with software tools such as JIRA, Slack, Google Docs suite
At Biobot, we are working together to build a team environment in which everyone can thrive and is proud to belong. We are an equal opportunity employer and our goal is to be a diverse team that is representative, at all job levels, of the society we live in. We encourage applications from candidates of all identities and backgrounds, including those who are traditionally underrepresented in technology startups.
Our mission is to transform wastewater infrastructure into public health observatories.
Named as one of Fast Company’s most innovative companies in the world in 2021, Biobot Analytics is a wastewater epidemiology company and uses technology developed at MIT to measure sewage to better understand population health in cities. We first launched an opioid product to support government and public health officials in responding to the opioid epidemic, and in 2020 launched a Covid19 product to estimate the scope of the outbreak in communities. We are operating in almost 500 communities across 43 states, and generating Covid19 case estimates for over 13% of the U.S. population.
Inspired by the potential of wastewater epidemiology, we are the first company in the world to bring wastewater epidemiology to market. We are VC backed by top investors including The Engine, DCVC, Y Combinator and Homebrew.
Battling the drug epidemic and now the Covid19 outbreak is just the beginning - we’re transforming sewage into a data asset and building a public health database. Eventually, Biobot will be an early warning system for disease, a map of nutrition disparities, and more. Headquartered in the Boston area with an office in NYC, we aim to create the bedrock of human health infrastructure and smart cities in countries across all six continents.
Please note that we are unable to sponsor work visas at this time.