Senior / Staff Data Scientist – Wastewater Target Analytics
At Biobot, our mission is to transform existing wastewater infrastructure into public health observatories. We process thousands of wastewater samples from across the United States, characterizing SARS-CoV-2 as well as chemicals and other pathogens. We provide not just raw data but valuable, actionable insights to customers in government, public health, and private industry. As a senior member of the Data Science team, you will be responsible for developing new models, analyses, and visualizations of our wastewater data. You will focus on deep research and analysis in wastewater epidemiology, characterizing our pathogen and substance targets. Using both Biobot and external data, you will devise methods to answer questions like: “When is an emerging pathogen or substance of concern forecasted to impact this community?” “How could we model our uncertainty in pathogen identification using metagenomic data?” “How can we use complex chemical datasets to infer community health metrics?” Your work will directly help our customers to improve the public health of their communities.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities (What you will be doing):
- Analyze Biobot’s wastewater data, including qPCR/digital PCR, metagenomics, and mass spectrometry data.
- Identify the most important analytical problems in wastewater data. Develop novel machine learning models and algorithms to address these problems and to draw new insights from Biobot’s wastewater data.
- Execute on analyses efficiently and progressively, building team-wide conviction about results and their implications
- Turn models and analyses into prototype features/visualizations (using infrastructure such as our data warehouse), and pass these off to the product & development teams for further refinement.
Education and/or Work Experience Requirements (What you need to succeed):
- PhD in a relevant field (e.g. computer science, statistics, bioengineering, cheminformatics, computational biology). (We will also consider candidates with equivalent terminal degrees or non-PhD candidates with 5+ years of additional experience.)
- 2+ years of post-PhD experience (industry strongly preferred).
- 3+ years analyzing and visualizing biological, chemical, or epidemiological data.
- Experience in machine learning, statistical, and other data science methods for both large and small datasets, for example advanced regression, classification, and dimensionality reduction.
- Experience quickly developing new models and visualizations.
- Highly collaborative; enthusiastic about rapid prototyping and feedback on a small team.
- Proficiency in Python (or R with willingness to rapidly learn Python); experienced with version control and other good coding practices.
Education and/or Work Experience Bonuses (What will help you succeed):
- Experience analyzing multi-omics data (especially genomics and/or high-resolution mass spectrometry).
- Familiarity with public health (wastewater epidemiology is a bonus!)
- Strong oral and written communicator, able to communicate complex analyses to non-scientific audiences.
- Experience with SQL and with Snowflake or other data warehouse tools.
- Strong record of publications and/or patents.
- Experience leading projects and mentoring other team members.
- Experience with cloud-based and containerized computing (e.g. AWS, docker).
- Creativity in identifying and wrangling new data sources.
We welcome applications from a diverse range of candidates, spanning from Senior Data Scientist to Staff Data Scientist levels. Compensation will be determined based on the candidate's experience, skills, and qualifications.
The salary range for this position varies based on level, with the Senior Data Scientist band ranging from $115,000 - $140,000 and the Staff Data Scientist band ranging from $140,000 - $170,000, depending on prior work experience. These ranges represent the low and high end of the anticipated base salary range for this position.
Actual base salary will depend on numerous factors such as: total experience, applicable knowledge and relevant skills. Final salary will be commensurate with the candidate’s leveling upon offer.
Please see below for more information about Biobot, including our benefits overview, company background, and employment eligibility requirements.
We are unable to sponsor work visas at this time.
Additionally, we are currently only accepting applicants from the states listed below. You will be asked to confirm your location in your application to help us determine your eligibility for this position.
Alabama, Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, North Carolina, New Hampshire, New York, New Jersey, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, Washington, Wisconsin
Free medical, dental, and vision insurance for employees and their families, including a $0 deductible medical plan. We want our employees to manage their health and that of their families without worrying about high premiums or deductibles.
Unlimited PTO with 3 week minimum. Whether it's playing MTG or D&D, singing on stage, camping, raising chickens, or anything else that inspires, we want our employees to unplug and explore their passions.
12 weeks parental leave at 100% pay. We love Biobabies and know that bonding with a new child is a critical need for employees and Biobabies alike.
3% Biobot 401k contribution. Regardless of whether our employees contribute, we contribute 3% of salaries into participating employees' 401k accounts because we want to support their long-term financial goals.
Onsite or at home, we ensure our employees' workspace is set up for success through generous home office stipend for remote employees, free parking or commuter benefits and on-site meals for lab employees.
At Biobot, we are working together to build a team environment in which everyone can thrive and is proud to belong. We are an equal opportunity employer and our goal is to be a diverse team that is representative, at all job levels, of the society we live in. We encourage applications from candidates of all identities and backgrounds, including those who are traditionally underrepresented in technology startups.
Our mission is to transform wastewater infrastructure into public health observatories.
Named as one of Fast Company’s most innovative companies in the world in 2021, Biobot Analytics is a wastewater epidemiology company and uses technology developed at MIT to measure biomarkers in sewage to better understand population health in cities. We first launched an opioid product to support government and public health officials in responding to the opioid epidemic, and in 2020 launched a Covid19 product to estimate the scope and trend of the outbreak in communities. We have operated in almost 500 communities across 43 U.S. states, generating Covid19 case estimates for over 13% of the U.S. population.
Battling the opioid epidemic and now the Covid19 pandemic is just the beginning - we’re transforming sewage into a data asset and building a public health database. Eventually, Biobot data will be an early warning system for disease outbreaks, a map of nutrition disparities, and more. Headquartered in the Boston area with an office in NYC, we aim to create the bedrock of human health infrastructure and smart cities in countries across all six continents.
Please visit our website at www.biobot.io