COO & CFO
Boston or New York /
Biobot is seeking an experienced CFO/OO to be a part of the leadership team to support our next phase of scaling and growth. The candidate will be a key member of the executive team and partner with the CEO, President, and CTO. The CFO/OO will lead all aspects of finance and operations and be a driving force in company strategy development, financial analysis / modeling and performance measurement.
The ideal candidate will embody Biobot’s mission and values and help thoughtfully translate them into our strategy and execution.
Who you are
- High achiever, mission-driven and low ego.
- Execution-driven and able to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Open and clear, transparent communicator; can give and receive feedback and communicate freely and openly.
- Ability to work closely with team members across a wide variety of backgrounds.
- Excited to grow and lead a team.
- Passionate about cutting-edge science.
- Lead and build-out finance and operations, including financing strategy, financial analysis, financial reporting, budget forecasting/planning, contract negotiation, human resources and systems development.
- Identify, measure and report on key performance indicators to maintain executional excellence.
- Define company strategies around Biobot’s product operations, including kitting, shipping, laboratory, accounting and revenue recognition. Support and influence technology initiatives to define and build out IT infrastructure needed to support Biobot’s financial needs.
- Bring a broad and sophisticated understanding of financing strategy across equity, debt and grants.
- Together with the rest of the executive team, work closely with the CEO on investor relations and board management.
- Provide timely, accurate and complete reports on the operating condition of the company.
- Manage the overall strategy and purpose of the Human Resources function: benefits, payroll, 401k, recruitment, learning and development, culture, performance management, compensation strategy, and succession planning.
- Hold primary responsibility for compliance with government contracting and other reporting/regulatory requirements.
- Contribute to company strategy, growth, discussion and decision-making as an executive leader of the company.
Relevant Prior Experience & Capabilities
- 5 - 10 years of experience in senior finance or operations roles, such as CFO/OO, VP of Finance or Operations from a venture-backed, private equity-backed or prior operating role within VC/PE firms.
- Demonstrated track record of driving creative financial strategies, financial reporting systems, operational scalability and excellence using data-driven metrics for high growth companies. Experience interfacing with institutional investors.
- Has had compliance/regulatory responsibility in other companies.
- Experience negotiating and managing strategic partnerships.
- Has structured equity and debt financings.
- Able to analyze and communicate financial information as tied to company and product strategy clearly and effectively.
Biobot’s mission is to transform wastewater infrastructure into public health observatories.
Biobot Analytics is the leading wastewater epidemiology company. We use technology developed at MIT to measure human health in sewage (based on what is excreted in urine and stool) to understand population health in cities. We first launched an opioid product to support government and public health officials in responding to the opioid epidemic. Our market leading COVID-19 product has helped almost 400 communities across 42 states generating COVID-19 case estimates for over 10% of the U.S. population, and are also working with communities in Canada, Mexico, Ecuador and Uruguay.
Inspired by the potential of wastewater epidemiology, we are the first company in the world to bring wastewater epidemiology to market. We have raised almost $7m from top investors including The Engine, DCVC, Y Combinator and Homebrew.
Battling the drug epidemic and now the Covid19 outbreak is just the beginning - we’re transforming sewage into a data asset and building a public health database. Eventually, Biobot will be an early warning system for disease, a map of nutrition disparities, and more. Headquartered in the Boston area with an office in NYC, we aim to create the bedrock of human health infrastructure and smart cities in countries across all six continents.