Community Scientist, LES
New York, NY /
BioBus, Inc. is pleased to announce a job opening for a Community Scientist. We are seeking someone with rigorous scientific training and a passion for environmental education to join our Lower East Side-based team. This role will provide support for our urban ecology programs both on the BioBus and during after school classes.
Founded in 2008, BioBus aims to spark, cultivate and sustain interest in science by providing people of all ages and backgrounds access to hands-on research lab experiences. We operate the BioBus, a research-grade microscope lab on wheels that visits schools across the NYC metropolitan area and reaches over 30,000 people a year. In addition, we run ongoing BioBase programs, including afterschool and weekend science classes, science summer camps, public science lectures and professional development workshops for NYC public school teachers.
BioBus’ scientific team consists of scientists trained at premier research institutions, who work collaboratively to develop unforgettable learning experiences. Creativity and intellectual independence are highly valued. We offer a casual work environment, flexible work schedules, competitive benefits, and a friendly and supportive culture free from excessive hierarchy.
Community Scientist Qualifications
- Minimum Qualifications
- Graduate degree OR significant scientific research experience
- 1 year teaching or outreach experience, formal or informal
- Ability to communicate complex scientific concepts to children and young adults
- A passion for science and education!
- Preferred Qualifications
- 2 or more years teaching or outreach experience, formal or informal
- Diverse teaching experience, with multiple student age groups
- Optical microscopy expertise
- Fluent in Spanish or Chinese (Mandarin, other dialects such as Cantonese and Taishanese a plus)
- Experience driving large vehicles a plus
- Teaching 2-3 days a week on board the BioBus, which involves:
- leading hands-on activities using state-of-the-art microscopes,
- traveling to diverse neighborhoods across the NYC Metro Area,
- working with students grades PreK-12,
- interacting with hundreds of students per week, and
- imbuing students with a passion for open-ended exploration of the natural world.
- Developing and supporting other hands-on, inquiry-driven science programs, such as:
- science internships for high school and college students,
- science summer camps,
- field trips to BioBus research labs,
- partnerships with schools and community-based organizations to support student science,
- ongoing citizen science projects in urban ecology,
- weekend programs for families,
- professional development workshops for teachers, or
- public programs for a diverse audience.
Compensation range for this position is between $50,000 and 67,000, commensurate with experience. Up to 5% bonus will be awarded based on organizational performance. Competitive benefits offered, including flexible paid time off and remote working, medical, dental, and vision, FSA, commuter, and other benefits. Benefits preview available here.
This position is included in a union-represented collective bargaining unit, and specific terms and conditions of employment are subject to collective bargaining negotiations.
BioBus does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnic origin, national origin, creed, religion, political belief, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, age, veteran status, or physical or mental disability.