Support Community Scientist
New York, NY /
Support Community Scientist
BioBus, Inc. is pleased to announce a job opening for a Support Community Scientist. We are seeking someone with scientific training and a passion for education to join our Harlem-based team. This full-time role will staff and teach Mobile Laboratory, BioBase Harlem community lab, and virtual field trip programs, including school-day introductory science lab classes and outside of school-time advanced lab programs.
Founded in 2008, BioBus's mission is to help minority, female, and low-income K - 12 and college students in New York City discover, explore, and pursue science. We operate two BioBus mobile labs, research-grade microscope labs on wheels that visits schools across the NYC metropolitan area, reaching over 30,000 people a year. In addition, we run in-depth science programs, including after-school and weekend science classes, science summer camps, public science lectures, and professional development workshops for NYC public school teachers. BioBus’ scientific team consists of scientists trained at premier research institutions, who work collaboratively to develop unforgettable learning experiences. Creativity and intellectual independence are highly valued. We offer a friendly and supportive culture free from excessive hierarchy. Benefits include medical, dental, vision, transit, FSA, and flexible PTO, remote working, and family leave policies.
- Bachelor’s degree in a science-related field
- Scientific research laboratory experience for at least 1 year
- Ability to communicate complex scientific concepts to children and young adults
- 1 year co-teaching or leading formal or informal science education programs
- A passion for science and education!
- Highly organized and responsible
- Flexibility to work on weekends
- 1+ year teaching or outreach experience, formal or informal
- Diverse co-teaching experience, with multiple student age groups
- Optical microscopy expertise
- Video production/editing skills
- Google Suite fluent, spreadsheet capable, willing to learn data entry using Salesforce platform
- Proficiency in Spanish
BioBus introductory lab programs 3 days a week (either aboard mobile labs or in virtual field trips) which involves:
- In charge of teaching and learning in introductory classes, with volunteers and facilities team support
- The Support Community Scientist will lead students in hands-on activities using state-of-the-art microscopes
- Traveling to diverse neighborhoods across the NYC Metro Area
- Working with students grades PreK-12
- Interacting with hundreds of students per week
- Imbuing students with a passion for open-ended exploration of the natural world
Hands-on, inquiry-driven science programs:
- Teach after school programs with Harlem community partners
- Support more senior BioBus scientists in science internships for high school and college students on weekends and weekdays
- Science summer camps
- Teach field trips to BioBus community lab
- Teach weekend programs for students and families
- Staff public programs for a diverse audience
- Prepare learning materials and educational tools under the supervision of a more senior BioBus Scientist
Minimum total compensation for this position will be $50,000, including base salary and bonus.
BioBus does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnic origin, national origin, creed, religion, political belief, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, age, veteran status, or physical or mental disability.