Redwood City , CA /
Full Time Employee (FTE)
We are seeking a Lab Manager to work on-site and oversee the daily operations and coordination of our upcoming move into our new Innovation Center and Laboratory in San Carlos, CA. The Lab Manager will ensure the lab business requirements are assessed, prioritized and paired with technical solutions in a timely manner. The Lab Manager is also responsible for overseeing all day-to-day lab operations including; maintaining adequate lab supply inventory, remedying technical issues, managing equipment maintenance and waste collection/disposal, building vendor relationships, creating and implementing lab organization systems, and onboarding new employees to the lab environment. The Lab Manager will act as a critical point of contact for lab users while fielding requests and executing/delegating responsibilities as needed. In addition, the Lab Manager will have the unique opportunity to scale the laboratory operations and contribute to a dynamic and fast-growing start-up environment.
- Coordinate upcoming short-distance laboratory move, working directly with Biomea’s Chief People Officer.
- Lead cross-functional decision-making regarding lab supplies, lab space planning, equipment utilization, and waste stream management in collaboration with lab users.
- Organize and designate shared lab responsibilities and facilitate collaboration.
- Establish systems for tracking, record keeping, and maintaining appropriate levels of consumable stock inventory in common supply locations of the lab and office.
- Collaborate with lab users to develop to maintain a catalog of regularly stocked lab supplies and create a stock maintenance strategy for all items.
- Ensure that shipments are reconciled with purchase orders, accurately entered into the Orders system, and delivered to correct personnel or stock locations.
- Identify and implement improvements to stock management and receiving, including, but not limited to min/max levels, forecasting, and support from vendors.
- Manage support for a diverse portfolio of laboratory equipment.
- Develop standard operating procedures to ensure that lab equipment and instrumentation are in good repair and kept current with respect to cleaning, preventive maintenance, calibration, and inspection, coordinating with lab users, and external service providers.
- Train users on lab equipment standard operating procedures and promptly respond and remedy any issues encountered during usage.
- Advise on equipment selection, purchasing, placement, and maintenance.
- Lead periodic pipette calibration activities, scheduling with lab users and partnering with external resources for execution of calibration.
- Ensure compliance with all EH&S regulation, coordinating laboratory safety trainings, acting as chemical hygiene officer. This includes managing contracts with external service providers for biological and chemical waste.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Education and Experience Requirements
- A bachelor’s degree with a minimum of 3 years of related, demonstrated laboratory operations experience managing and scaling lab operations in a biotechnology, pharmaceutical, or academic life sciences research environment.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills, organization, and attention to detail.
- Highly proficient using Microsoft Office Suites. Knowledge of MS Teams is a plus.
- Broad understanding of IT systems and ability to troubleshoot day-to-day issues.
- Collaborative, team-oriented mindset with experience in a fast-paced environment.
- Self-motivated, detail oriented leader with exceptional organizational, and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to anticipate needs in a lab environment, using good judgement to troubleshoot issues.
- Desire to contribute wherever necessary to solve problems.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to engage in significant standing, walking, moving, carrying, bending, reaching, pushing, and pulling.
- Ability to move and lift boxes and equipment up to 45 lbs.
- This position requires 24-hour response availability for emergency situations.
Equal Employment Opportunity
At Biomea Fusion, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.