Dir. / Sr. Dir. of Biology
Redwood City , CA /
Full Time Employee (FTE)
We are seeking a Director / Senior Director of Biology that is highly motivated to join our team and work on-site at an exciting biotech start-up in Redwood City. The ideal candidate for the role possesses broad expertise in the development and application of early and late stage research programs as well as the examination of mechanisms of action of candidate lead molecules and clinical development compounds. The Sr. Dir. / Dir. Biology will help drive discovery programs across both large and small molecules through target identification, validation, and towards clinical proof of concepts in patients. The qualified candidate will bring extensive knowledge in oncology and drug development to the scientific team and will report to the VP of Biology.
- Collaborate with a diverse group of motivated and skilled biologists on multiple high-impact projects focused on the discovery and development of novel small molecule therapeutics.
- Lead the scientific team’s understanding of the mechanism of action.
- Design, execute and manage internal research projects.
- Work with other functional groups within the organization while managing external collaborations.
- Develop new preclinical strategies to advance promising therapeutics into the clinic.
- Work with drug discovery partners to advance molecules from hit identification to lead, and eventually clinical candidate status.
- Develop scientific understanding and fluency of the innovative platform and work closely with the platform team to identify new disease/project opportunities that can be translated into new pipeline projects.
- Interpret, summarize, and present research findings at internal and external scientific meetings.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Education and Experience Requirements
- PhD degree in Biology, Cell Biology, Systems Biology, or related discipline with at least 5+ years industry experience or a MA/MS with min 14 + years of experience in a research and/or development environment and 7 + years of successful management/ leadership experience.
- Strong strategic scientific and technical leadership in the design, execution, analysis, and interpretation of assays to drive programs and elucidate mechanism of action.
- Experience in taking a program from concept to clinical.
- Deep understanding of classical pharmacological principles and drug discovery process.
- Ability to critically analyze and interpret data, and effectively document and communicate results and recommend next steps.
- Collaborative, team-oriented mindset with strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Self-motivated, detail oriented leader with exceptional organizational and leadership and interpersonal skills.
Equal Employment Opportunity
At Biomea Fusion, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer, we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.