Toronto, ON /
Thanks for the interest! Just a note in case there is some uncertainty due to COVID-19; we are still growing and actively hiring for this position as well as many others. We look forward to reviewing your application.
Effective visuals and designs give scientists the tools to convey incredibly complex scientific concepts in an unambiguous, universally accessible way. At BioRender, our mission is to empower the world to learn and communicate science faster through visuals, and we are passionate about accelerating scientific discovery and understanding by democratizing science communication.
We’re looking for a detail-oriented, organized, and thoughtful scientific designer to join our team. You’ll work within the BioRender platform to create templates, drive template creation strategy, and review content for scientific accuracy. You’ll keep abreast of scientific breakthroughs and how we provide for them within the product, and you’ll help to optimize the user experience through usability testing. Consulting on special projects will also give you the opportunity to lend your expertise in other areas as needed. You'll work alongside an award-winning medical illustration team (including alumni from Johns Hopkins, University of Toronto, National Geographic Magazine, and more).
Our ideal fit
- Thrives in a fast-paced environment and loves working on a diverse array of projects that span cross-disciplinary teams
- Curious, loves asking questions, and thinks outside of the box
- Dedicated to building a product users love
- Able to distill user experience data into a clear, organized product roadmap
- Enjoys producing clean, elegant illustrations
- Wants to revolutionize how science is communicated around the world
- Create clean, elegant template designs within the BioRender platform, from which scientists can modify and generate illustrations
- Conduct audit to compile a high-coverage list of potential figure template ideas, and rank them based on: 1) Relevance / usefulness / impact as a potential figure template, 2) How feasible it is to make/use this template in the BioRender platform
- Generate rough proposals from prioritized figure template idea based on their content research, which could then be handed off to science illustrator colleagues for refinement / publication
- Provide template content reviews of near-finished templates for scientific accuracy
- Perform initial review of special figure/template requests from industry users or other high profile clients before relay to rest of Template team
- Perform routine research / audits for new, emerging, or breakthrough research topics or trends which may inform pivoting template topic priorities, allowing us to provide relevant, helpful content to the science community
- Application usability testing: log usability issues / bugs or points of improvement as an “end-user”
- Involvement in other science discussions/projects including offering consultation / expertise in specialty projects or endeavours
What you bring to the table
- Portfolio with 3-5 samples of clean designs created with BioRender, depicting a range of topics from cellular, molecular, protocols, etc.
- MSc or PhD in a life sciences field
- 2+ years of design experience and/or figure-making for publications, presentations, etc
- Strong eye for aesthetics/design and visual communication trends
- Experience in Adobe Creative Suite is a plus (Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, Premier)
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to manage competing deadlines and prioritize effectively
BioRender is a software tool that allows scientists to accelerate groundbreaking research across the life sciences by reducing the time it takes to visually communicate research from many hours to just minutes while drastically improving outputs. We aim to save scientists over 1 billion hours of wasted time per year so they can spend it performing life-changing medical research, teaching the scientists of tomorrow, and helping people understand the world around them.
An incredible group of investors back us, including Y Combinator, Refactor and some of the most successful life science entrepreneurs in the world. Our customers range from the world’s largest pharmaceutical and biotech companies to the most renowned universities and research institutions.
Our tight-knit group is bonded by its shared commitment to our core values of resourcefulness, curiosity, integrity, empathy and humility. By both individually and collectively embodying these values, we can create clean, powerful, elegant solutions that delight our customers.
We are committed to building a warm, inclusive, and diverse environment. We believe that people do their best work when they feel good, and every member of our team deserves to feel safe, empowered, and supported. To this end, we offer a comprehensive set of benefits, including:
Competitive salary + options
High-growth position in the early stage of a promising company
Key placement with important responsibilities in the organization
Alignment of your professional growth with the company’s growth
Additional perks like weekly lunches
Ideally, you would work onsite at our office in Toronto; however, given the ongoing restrictions brought on by COVID-19, this is currently a remote position. We are open to considering continuing in a remote capacity once restrictions are lifted.
If your interest is piqued, please apply. We'd love to hear from you. Also, be sure to check out other listings on our Careers page.
BioRender is an equal opportunity employer and as such does not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, religion, sex, national origins, age, sexual orientation, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws. Selection decisions are solely based on job-related factors.