Senior Software Developer (Backend, Internal tooling)
Toronto, ON /
Thanks for the interest! Just a note in case there is some uncertainty due to COVID-19; we are still growing and actively hiring for this position as well as many others. We look forward to reviewing your application.
Effective visuals and designs give scientists the tools to convey incredibly complex scientific concepts in an unambiguous, universally accessible way. At BioRender, our mission is to empower the world to learn and communicate science faster through visuals, and we are passionate about accelerating scientific discovery and understanding by democratizing science communication.
We are looking for a Senior Software Developer to enable internal teams to be more efficient by providing tools, data and automating manual tasks. You’ll be leading architecture and implementation of large backend-leaning projects with enormous impact to internal teams.
Our ideal fit
- Has a strong sense of ownership, likes to participate in defining requirements
- Sets a high standard on code quality, tests and code review
- Excellent technical communication skills
- Ability to explain complex solutions clearly to others
- Growth mindset, excited to learn new libraries / technologies (but practical about adopting them for production)
- Creative problem solver
Within your first three months, you'll:
- Set up an internal analytics system and set up API integrations with external vendors (stripe, customer.io, hubspot, etc) to enable internal teams to make decisions based on data
- Gain trust from team, shown by being a go-to person for questions / advice on internal tools
- Improve team standards and processes around code quality, tests and code review
Within your first six months, you’ll:
- Build an admin panel with a granular permissioning system to enable teams to: Make user account changes, track revenue from all channels and modify subscriptions, upload and tag creative product content (icons, templates), easily set up enterprise accounts
- Onboard 2 new engineers and participate in the interview process for 2 hires
What you bring to the table
- You have a demonstrated ability to (creatively) solve complex architectural problems, think about tradeoffs and systems design
- You have excellent technical communication skills (code documentation, architectural documents and presentation)
- You have strong experience (5+ years full time, with at least 1 year as a Senior) in software development
- You are legally authorized to work in Canada
BioRender is a software tool that allows scientists to accelerate groundbreaking research across the life sciences by reducing the time it takes to visually communicate research from many hours to just minutes while drastically improving outputs. We aim to save scientists over 1 billion hours of wasted time per year so they can spend it performing life-changing medical research, teaching the scientists of tomorrow, and helping people understand the world around them.
An incredible group of investors back us, including Y Combinator, Refactor and some of the most successful life science entrepreneurs in the world. Our customers range from the world’s largest pharmaceutical and biotech companies to the most renowned universities and research institutions.
Our tight-knit group is bonded by its shared commitment to our core values of resourcefulness, curiosity, integrity, empathy and humility. By both individually and collectively embodying these values, we can create clean, powerful, elegant solutions that delight our customers.
We are committed to building a warm, inclusive, and diverse environment. We believe that people do their best work when they feel good, and every member of our team deserves to feel safe, empowered, and supported. To this end, we offer a comprehensive set of benefits, including:
Competitive salary + options
Professional development budget
High-growth position in the early stage of a promising company
Key placement with important responsibilities in the organization
Alignment of your professional growth with the company’s growth
Ideally, you would work onsite at our office in Toronto; however, given the ongoing restrictions brought on by COVID-19, this is currently a remote position. We are open to considering continuing in a remote capacity once restrictions are lifted.
If your interest is piqued, please apply. We'd love to hear from you. Also, be sure to check out other listings on our Careers page.
BioRender is an equal opportunity employer and as such does not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, religion, sex, national origins, age, sexual orientation, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws. Selection decisions are solely based on job-related factors.