Medical Illustrator - Remote, Freelance
Thanks for the interest! Just a note in case there is some uncertainty due to COVID-19; we are still growing and actively hiring for this position as well as many others. We look forward to reviewing your application.
Effective visuals and designs give scientists the tools to convey incredibly complex scientific concepts in an unambiguous, universally accessible way. At BioRender, our mission is to empower the world to learn and communicate science faster through visuals, and we are passionate about accelerating scientific discovery and understanding by democratizing science communication.
We're looking for a self-starter with a strong illustration portfolio who is eager to learn and grow professionally. You’ll develop figure templates and provide 1:1 design support, while also contributing to our efforts in building out our library of user-generated content. Your work will directly impact our users as well as their experience with the product. You'll also work alongside an award-winning medical illustration team (including alumni from Johns Hopkins, University of Toronto, National Geographic Magazine, and more).
This is a freelance contract opportunity with flexible hours.
Our ideal fit
- Thrives in a fast-paced environment and loves working on a diverse array of projects that span cross-disciplinary teams
- Curious, loves asking questions, and thinks outside of the box
- Enjoys producing clean, elegant illustrations
- Dedicated to building a product users love
- Wants to revolutionize how science is communicated around the world
- Research and create clean, accurate, 2D vector-based medical illustrations and graphics
- Communicate with scientists and users on illustration needs, accuracy, and requested service
- Research and compose creative templates and figures using unique combinations of vector graphics
- Collaborate with other teams (engineers, sales and marketing, product design, UI/UX etc.) to deliver a consistent and cohesive body of work
- Contribute to team illustration reviews to ensure quality and standards of visual content
- Manage visual content projects (set up meetings, keep track of project scope, follow up with deadlines and internal goals etc.)
- Assess and identify areas for template and figure gallery expansion and growth as the platform and library grows
- Follow through with projects to ensure project deliverables are completed as specified and on time
- Occasional opportunities for traditional illustration work or 3D journal cover art
- Opportunity to grow into leadership (or parallel) roles including project manager, product lead, UX designer, creative lead, senior medical illustrator, and much more
What you bring to the table
- Master’s degree or equivalent in Medical Illustration
- Completion of post-secondary life science degree (or related subject) preferred
- Strong draftsmanship, line work, sense of perspective, color, and composition
- Strong eye for aesthetics/design and visual communication trends
- Portfolio with samples of clean vector illustrations with modern color palette
- Ability to execute production of high-quality vector images quickly and efficiently
- Ability to quickly research and understand a variety of subjects and topics and translate into clean, clear, didactic 2D images
- Strong experience using vector illustration tools (Adobe Illustrator)
- Team player with a willingness to take on collaborative team projects
- Strong communication skills
- Experience in animation — Adobe After Effects/Premiere is a plus
BioRender is a software tool that allows scientists to accelerate groundbreaking research across the life sciences by reducing the time it takes to visually communicate research from many hours to just minutes while drastically improving outputs. We aim to save scientists over 1 billion hours of wasted time per year so they can spend it performing life-changing medical research, teaching the scientists of tomorrow, and helping people understand the world around them.
An incredible group of investors back us, including Y Combinator, Refactor and some of the most successful life science entrepreneurs in the world. Our customers range from the world’s largest pharmaceutical and biotech companies to the most renowned universities and research institutions.
Our tight-knit group is bonded by its shared commitment to our core values of resourcefulness, curiosity, integrity, empathy and humility. By both individually and collectively embodying these values, we can create clean, powerful, elegant solutions that delight our customers.
We are committed to building a warm, inclusive, and diverse environment. We believe that people do their best work when they feel good, and every member of our team deserves to feel safe, empowered, and supported. To this end, we offer a comprehensive set of benefits, including:
High-growth position in the early stage of a promising company
Key placement with important responsibilities in the organization
Alignment of your professional growth with the company’s growth
If your interest is piqued, please apply. We'd love to hear from you. Also, be sure to check out other listings on our Careers page.
BioRender is an equal opportunity employer and as such does not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, religion, sex, national origins, age, sexual orientation, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws. Selection decisions are solely based on job-related factors.