Backend Software Engineer (Senior / Staff)
Remote (US & Canada)
At BioRender, our mission is to accelerate the world’s ability to learn, discover and communicate science. We are passionate about democratizing science communication in order to accelerate scientific discovery and understanding. We're looking for amazing people to help create the world’s go-to-place and platform where science is communicated. Come join us!
We’re hiring Backend Engineers across our AI Product & Personalization Team and Enterprise teams to join our mission in democratizing science communication.
Enterprise team: The Enterprise team’s mission is to build a world-class and intuitive experience for scientists and their teams to use and collaborate in BioRender (researchers, admins, and others). The features include signup, onboarding, file organization, collaboration, payments, account management and more.
AI Product & Personalization team: The mission of this new team is to dramatically reduce the effort it takes scientists to create figures in BioRender from hours to minutes, saving scientists a billion hours a year annually. Leveraging AI, this team will help supercharge our vision by empowering every scientist to be an incredible storyteller.
- Be a foundational member of a cross-functional team, working closely with product, design, data science, and science experts to achieve our mission.
- Build backend services.
- Integrate with third-party systems like Algolia (search product) and work with creative team to enrich data sets.
- Contribute to process improvements, hiring/onboarding procedures, enhancing product quality, and optimizing our codebase for ease of use and flexibility.
- Successfully deliver substantial projects with a high level of quality, typically spanning 3 to 6 months.
Our ideal fit brings:
- A strong background in backend engineering, with a knack for creating high-performing APIs capable of handling high volumes
- Expertise with NoSQL databases (like MongoDB), and cloud infrastructure (like AWS). A track record of designing systems that are simple, scalable, secure, and performant.
- Thrives on enhancing system maintainability for streamlined engagement by other engineers.
- Data platform background is a plus.
Why join us?
- We are mission-driven, and work collaboratively towards our shared vision of improving scientific communication and accelerating scientific discovery: BioRender figures have appeared in more than 16,000 publications!
- It’s a product that users love! We have a world-class NPS and a community of loyal fans. Check out our Testimonials page to see what our customers are saying about us: https://biorender.com/testimonials/
- We are in the top quartile for profitability and year-over-year revenue growth, with users in 200+ countries.
- BioRender is an equal opportunity employer, and an inclusive hiring process and work environment is a part of our DNA.
- We’re remote-first and have team members across Canada and the United States. A physical office in Toronto is available, but you have the flexibility to work from anywhere.
- We’re backed by top investors, accelerators, and some of the most successful life science entrepreneurs and philanthropists in the world including Y Combinator, Malala Fund founders, and Fifty Years VC.
- We are committed to building a warm, inclusive, and diverse environment. Check out how we make sure our employees come first.
Check out our candidate resource - Engineering, Product & Design at BioRender!
You can also read more about the BioRender interview process and FAQs here!
Please note that in Canada, only those companies licensed by a provincial or territorial engineering regulator may refer to themselves as an “engineer” and therefore, this role will be titled "developer" internally at BioRender.