Senior HPC Consultant and Technologist
Do you thrive in creative, innovative, scientific and IT environments? Do you like the challenge of tackling big projects involving HPC, storage, systems administration, and/or networking in the life sciences? Do you like working closely with scientists on enabling their IT needs? Enjoy the challenges in automating complex data analytics and reporting? Are you a scientist in the field who has met the challenge of translating complex scientific processes into technical solutions? Do you find the convergence of science and IT fascinating? If you answered yes to any of these questions, BioTeam, Inc. has a unique opportunity for you.
BioTeam, Inc. is a growing life sciences consulting company. We have expertise bridging Science and IT, and we have a unique way of providing complete, and forward-thinking solutions to life sciences to help accelerate scientific research. We assess, recommend and implement strategies, technologies, software and systems for our customers that are designed for the direct support of scientific research.
We are a completely virtual organization with employees across the country and also collaborative and fast-paced. We travel domestically and internationally to work with our diverse customer base. You will work from your home office in the Austin, Texas area.
As a Senior HPC Consultant and Technologist, you are considered a subject matter expert in High Performance Computing (HPC) Infrastructure and storage. Your work experience in this area is important, as is your fascination for learning as much as you can about HPC in the life sciences. Through your perpetual curiosity, you not only accumulate knowledge, but you are also driven by the pursuit of the solution to a problem. The overall job of the Senior HPC Consultant and Technologist is to uphold BioTeam’s mission of empowering science through innovative technology, resulting in significant impacts on science.
The ideal candidate will find deep satisfaction in solving complex problems, and also enjoy leading project teams in the development of custom solutions to meet our clients’ unique needs. Our engagements result in innovative and unique solutions, so candidates should have a deep sense of curiosity and the desire to learn about “bleeding-edge” advances in both technology and life science. The ideal candidate for the Senior HPC Consultant and Technologist will demonstrate a passion for delivering objective, technology neutral solutions to life science researchers. Whether you started your career in IT or in science and then became interested in the other, you thrive on the latest breakthroughs. Client problems can be solved in a number of ways, and it is the job of the Senior HPC Consultant and Technologist to act as a master puzzle solver and determine, after careful assessment of the clients’ needs, whether to offer a mix of core services or to create a custom solution.
- HPC Infrastructure Expertise
- Help clients define their High Performance Computing and storage needs and strategy/vision
- Provide thought leadership to the industry in the form of blog postings, whitepapers, and speaking engagements
- Provide hands on support and training in HPC operations to both IT staff and end users
- Research and integrate new technologies to help accelerate scientific research
- Be familiar with scientific software application install and support
- Translate IT requirements to help guide and influence scientific practices
- Service Delivery
- Act as HPC Infrastructure subject matter expert to provide day-to-day project coordination, planning and implementation of multiple projects
- Lead or participate in the drafting of project proposals and manage the lifecycle of internal and client document review until the proposal is approved
- As a technical project lead, be responsible for keeping projects on time and on budget
- Assist in the definition of project scope and objectives, involving all relevant stakeholders and ensuring technical feasibility
- Provide internal status reports
- Troubleshoot variety of issues and collaborate with team members on solutions
- Ensure successful delivery of solutions that meet client expectations
- Client Engagement
- Act as the technical point of contact for clients during the implementation and execution of a project
- Participate in initial tech review calls and clarify specific requirements of each project
- Communicate with clients on regular basis with weekly calls and status reports
- Team Leadership
- Work with consulting group to determine necessary resources for each project
- Lead team members on a project through all stages of each project
Background and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Mathematics, Information Technology, Life Sciences, or related field. Advanced degree in a related field a plus.
- 10+ years of combined technology experience in HPC, systems administration, scientific storage, and networking
- Experience working in a research focused IT environment
- Up-to-date knowledge of and thought leadership in state-of-the art IT technologies
- Experience leading complex IT projects and project teams is highly desired
- Passion for technology & science with a desire to stay up to date on the state-of-the-art in your field
- Demonstrated ability to build rapport with both external clients and internal team members
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including ability to clearly communicate technical requirements to non-technical people
- Proactive and innovative, with ability to think ahead of problems
- Strong problem-solving and analytical skills
- Able to adapt to change quickly
- Cognitive thinking skills that can assess and adapt to the various needs of a diverse stakeholder population
- Organizational and time management skills, exceptional follow-through, and ability to juggle multiple priorities while keeping projects moving forward
- Experience and desire to work remotely with approximately 25% overnight travel
- Highly developed sense of integrity and commitment to operational excellence
- Must be currently authorized to work in the United States and have or be able to qualify for government and customer security clearance
BioTeam offers a highly competitive employee compensation and benefits package, including generous base salary, medical and dental plans, dental and vision plans, life and disability coverage and a 401(k) plan with employer contributions.
This job operates in a home office environment, as well as at client locations. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets, and fax machines.
This is largely a sedentary role; however, some filing is required. This would require the ability to move files, open filing cabinets and bend or stand as necessary.
The Company does not seek salary history information from applicants. The Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer that does not discriminate on the basis of actual or perceived race, creed, color, religion, alienage or national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, age, disability or handicap, sex, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, arrest record or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.