Scientific Software Engineer (Remote)
Are you a software engineer or developer who has worked on projects in scientific environments? Are you a scientist who has found a passion for, and experience in, building software to advance science?
If you answered YES to either of the above questions, we'd love to hear from you!
We are BioTeam - a team of consultants and engineers creating client-centric solutions to the most advanced technology challenges in life sciences. We've been doing strategic and impactful work across clients in government, pharma, biotech, and academia. To meet the needs of our growing client base, we are seeking a Scientific Software Engineer to be a subject matter expert and engineer in scientific software development. We need someone who can translate technical expertise into solutions that impact the development of life-saving therapies and advance the frontiers of life science in areas such as CryoEM, population-scale genomics, molecular dynamics, and AI/ML.
We are a completely virtual, collaborative, and fast-paced organization with employees across the country. We travel domestically and internationally to work with our diverse customer base. You will work from both our clients' locations and from your home office. Please note that this is not a strictly telework opportunity.
WHAT YOU WILL BE DOING:
- Working with customers to identify, model, and automate complex scientific processes using commercial and open source software
- Applying industry best practices related to the automation of complex data analytics and reporting using commercial and open source software
- Designing and developing custom software solutions
- Working independently and collaboratively within consulting project teams
- Providing follow-up support and training to BioTeam clients
TECHNOLOGIES YOU WILL BE WORKING WITH:
- AWS and its component services (such as EC2, S3, Lambda, CloudFormation, and many more)
- Azure and GCP and their component services
- DevOps tools such as Ansible, Terraform, and Docker
- Scientific tools and data pipelines such as GATK, RELION, Nextflow, and Airflow
- AI/ML frameworks including TensorFlow and PyTorch
BACKGROUND AND EXPERIENCE:
- Associate Degree in Science and Engineering fields, with a preference for a focus on Computer Science; Bachelor’s degree preferred or a combination of education and experience2-5 years of experience with scientific computing or life sciences is preferredDesired experience in the following areas:
- Cloud: Amazon Web Services (AWS), CloudFormation/Terraform, Kubernetes
- Databases: PostgresQL, MongoDB, GraphQL, Elasticsearch
- Demonstrated ability to build rapport with both external clients and internal team members
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including ability to clearly communicate technical requirements to non-technical people
- Proactive and innovative, with ability to think ahead of problems
- Strong problem-solving and analytical skills
- Able to adapt to change quickly
- Cognitive thinking skills that can assess and adapt to the various needs of a diverse stakeholder population
- Organizational and time management skills, exceptional follow-through, and ability to juggle multiple priorities while keeping projects moving forward
- Experience and desire to work remotely with approximately 25% overnight travel
- Highly developed sense of integrity and commitment to operational excellence
- Must be currently authorized to work in the United States
In addition, as part of the consulting practice at BioTeam, you will be participating in the lifecycle of projects, which include:
-Joining initial tech review calls, defining project scope and assisting with drafting proposals
-Maintaining clear and timely communication with clients
Ensuring the solution meets client expectations and being flexible to change
BioTeam offers a highly competitive employee compensation and benefits package, including generous base salary, medical and dental plans, dental and vision plans, life and disability coverage and a 401(k) plan with employer contributions.
This job operates in a home office environment, as well as at client locations. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets, and fax machines.
This is largely a sedentary role; however, some filing is required. This would require the ability to move files, open filing cabinets and bend or stand as necessary.
The Company does not seek salary history information from applicants. The Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer that does not discriminate on the basis of actual or perceived race, creed, color, religion, alienage or national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, age, disability or handicap, sex, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, arrest record or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.