Scientific Engineer, Scientific Computing
DC Metro /
Do you thrive in creative, innovative, scientific and IT environments? Do you like the challenge of tackling big projects involving HPC, systems administration, and/or networking in the life sciences? Do you like working closely with scientists on enabling their IT needs? Enjoy the challenges in automating complex data analytics and reporting? Are you a scientist in the field who has met the challenge of translating complex scientific processes into technical solutions? Do you find the convergence of science and IT fascinating? If you answered yes to any of these questions, BioTeam, Inc. has a unique opportunity for you.
BioTeam, Inc. is a growing life sciences consulting company. We have expertise bridging Science and IT, and we have a unique way of providing complete, and forward-thinking solutions to life sciences to help accelerate scientific research. We assess, recommend, and implement strategies, technologies, software and systems for our customers that are designed for the direct support of scientific research.
We are a completely virtual organization with employees across the country and also collaborative and fast-paced. We travel domestically and internationally to work with our diverse customer base. You will work from your home office, wherever that may be.
As part of the Consulting Team, the Senior Scientific Engineer helps implement technology solutions for clients to establish BioTeam’s innovative and modernized approaches to IT infrastructure through the development of standards, platforms, and architectures that will assist with the adoption in the biomedical sciences. By employing empathy and excellent interpersonal skills, you will help BioTeam communicate our mission of empowering science through innovation in technology to make significant impact on science. This role participates in the full life cycle of client projects, including design/requirements, coding/programming, testing, installation, documentation, and providing maintenance and support. As a Senior Scientific Engineer, you must be able to work with both the hardware and software elements of computer systems and have experience with designing, deploying and managing HPC, storage and other computing infrastructure.
The ideal candidate will find deep satisfaction in solving complex problems and being a part of the development of custom solutions to meet our clients’ unique needs. Our engagements result in innovative and unique solutions, to be successful you should have a deep curiosity and the desire to learn about “bleeding-edge” advances in biomedical science.
- Work with customers to identify, design, deploy, and support state-of-the-art HPC, storage, networking, and other IT infrastructure in support of scientific research
- Work with customers to identify, model, and automate complex scientific processes using commercial and open source software
- Knowledge of industry best practices related to the automation of complex data analytics and reporting using commercial and open source software
- Knowledge of programming and scripting languages common in the life sciences such as Python, R, shell scripting and others.
- Ability to translate scientific and business needs into technical solutions
- Work closely and collaboratively with clients’ scientific and IT stakeholders on solution design and deployment
- Work independently and collaboratively within consulting project teams
- Provide follow-up support and training to BioTeam clients
- Maintain working knowledge of regulatory guidelines as related to bioanalysis
- Attend internal and external expert training workshops as needed
Background and Experience
- Associate Degree in Science and Engineering fields, with a preference for a focus on Computer Science; Bachelor’s degree preferred or a combination of education and experience
- AWS Solutions Architect – Associate or Professional or equivalent preferred
- 8+ years of combined technology experience in HPC, systems administration, scientific storage, and networking
- Experience working in a research focused IT environment
- Any additional diverse technology experiences a plus!
- Up-to-date knowledge of and though leadership in state-of-the art IT technologies
- Extensive experience leading complex IT projects and project teams
- Demonstrated ability to build rapport with both external clients and internal team members
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including ability to translate complicated processes and make them usable by non-experts
- Proactive and innovative, with ability to think ahead of problems
- Dynamic personality and flexible attitude, with cognitive thinking skills to adapt to the needs of a diverse stakeholder population
- Organizational and time management skills, exceptional follow-through, and ability to manage multiple priorities while keeping projects moving forward
- Experience and desire to work remotely with approximately 25% overnight travel
- Must be currently authorized to work in the United States and have or be able to qualify for government and customer security clearance
BioTeam offers a highly competitive employee compensation and benefits package, including generous base salary, medical and dental plans, dental and vision plans, life and disability coverage and a 401(k) plan with employer contributions.
This job operates in a home office environment, as well as at client locations. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets, and fax machines.
This is largely a sedentary role; however, some filing is required. This would require the ability to move files, open filing cabinets and bend or stand as necessary.
The Company does not seek salary history information from applicants. The Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer that does not discriminate on the basis of actual or perceived race, creed, color, religion, alienage or national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, age, disability or handicap, sex, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, arrest record or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.