Director, Vehicle Compliance
Culver City, California
Vehicle – Vehicle Engineering
Who is Bird
At Bird, we’re on a mission to make cities more livable by reducing traffic and carbon emissions with an affordable, convenient, and eco-friendly transportation option. We planted roots in Los Angeles, California. Now, our fleet of electric scooters is available to riders in cities around the world for short trips or the “last mile” of their journey. In our first year, Bird launched in over 100 cities and provided over 10 million rides. And we’re only just getting started.
Provide the Vehicle team with direction through a global electric vehicle regulatory lens, working with engineering to develop safe and fun to ride electric vehicles in compliance for markets around the globe. This is a fast-paced environment ideally suited for individuals who excel at providing pragmatic and creative solutions to legal and business risks while building strong relationships.
- Provide counsel to product, engineering and business teams within Bird
- to ensure international compliance with rules and regulations for both existing and future product features
- Draft, negotiate, and provide guidance related to regulatory requirements relating to supplier/ quality/ manufacturing/retail agreements
- Advise on a broad range of requests for legal advice related to electric vehicle testing, development and deployment
- Provide guidance to Vehicle teams regarding FCC, CE, PLEV, EKV certificates (and others), maintain documentation to support compliance, and lead Bird’s participation in relevant rules and standards groups all through a legal scope and expertise.
- Ability to assist teams with obtaining and maintaining the necessary testing and operating permits for international markets
- Develop compliance policies, procedures, plans, and guidelines to ensure that both governmental and industry regulations and standards are met
- Support and maintain product labeling requirements of all international and US markets to include but not limited to International and US Custom’s labeling, product care, safety- CE / PPE requirements, CPSC, DOT and includes all local market required language
- Draft submissions for Bird in state and federal rule-making proceedings that determine regulatory frameworks for new product lines
- Effectively partner with stakeholders across the company (finance, operations, product, business development) to drive consistent results
- Shape and improve our compliance processes that enable all functions to scale effectively
- Masters Degree
- At least eight (8) years of experience in professional roles with focus on legal and regulatory compliance topics
- Prior automotive experience or similar industries is considered a plus factor as is experience working for international companies or an international law firm with a focus on electric vehicles
- Proven track record of working closely with internal and external business partners
Culture at Bird
We're an ambitious, smart, and open-minded group. Our employees are passionate about our mission, and eager to complete their work at the highest level. The office itself is up tempo and supportive, because we care about each other. People first, people.
We want people to succeed at Bird, so we give our teams plenty of time off to relax and recharge. We also offer a generous employer-paid healthcare coverage, on-demand doctor visits, childcare support, a pre-tax commuter account for mass transit or parking, a wellness stipend, and more.
Bird is the world
Bird stands for a culture of inclusion. We celebrate different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives —encouraging everyone to bring their authentic selves to work. We have a diverse environment that empowers our team to feel comfortable when they voice their opinions. For these reasons and more Bird is a proud equal employment opportunity employer. We welcome everyone regardless of their race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or genetics, and we are dedicated to providing an inclusive, open, and diverse work environment.
Sound like a place you’d like to work? Sweet. Let’s chat.