City Policy and Compliance Manager
Santa Monica, California
Data – Policy and Partnerships
Who is Bird
At Bird, we’re on a mission to make cities more livable by reducing traffic and carbon emissions with an affordable, convenient, and eco-friendly transportation option. We planted roots in Los Angeles, California. Now, our fleet of electric scooters is available to riders in cities around the world for short trips or the “last mile” of their journey. In our first year, Bird launched in over 100 cities and provided over 10 million rides. And we’re only just getting started.
As a City Policy and Compliance Manager, you will design the framework for how micro-mobility providers effectively partner with cities to align public and private interests. To do this, you will collaborate with cities to translate regulations into measurable administrative rules that Bird can operate against.
You will craft policy positions based on data that helps cities understand the best ways to enable micro-mobility in their cities. Further, you will establish yourself as an industry thought leader, establishing global best practices for how urban technology companies can operate within local regulatory structures.
- Work with cities to translate city micro-mobility regulations into technical and operational requirements.
- Research and explore highly regulated industries to determine best practices.
- Dive into data to 1.) understand how to best operate within regulatory constraints and improve those structures to most effectively align public and private interests; and 2.) Reframe the main issues facing the industry in terms of the actual problems to be solved.
- Work cross-functionally to understand key pain points of cities and develop tools that can help to drive alignment between Bird and its city partners.
- Establish yourself as an industry thought leader in how to best develop and deploy regulations.
- Represent Bird on panels and thought leadership pieces.
- Passionate about urban mobility and aligning public and private interests for outcomes that are in the public interest.
- BA required, advanced degree in city planning, public policy, policy administration, or transportation engineering preferred.
- Experience working in transportation, public administration, public policy, or local government.
- Ability to explain relatively nuanced technical concepts and/or teaching external partners.
- Experienced public speaker, comfortable with communicating your message and responding to tough questions with poise and grace.
- Incredibly organized, communicative and team player - you drive everyone around you to be on the same page.
- A self-drive executor, you establish and lead project and implementation timelines.
- Extremely strong writer, preferred if you've been published a few times.
- Quantitatively minded and able to understand complicated data analyses.
Culture at Bird
We're an ambitious, smart, and open-minded group. Our employees are passionate about our mission, and eager to complete their work at the highest level. The office itself is up tempo and supportive, because we care about each other. People first, people.
We want people to succeed at Bird, so we give our teams plenty of time off to relax and recharge. We also offer a generous employer-paid healthcare coverage, on-demand doctor visits, childcare support, a pre-tax commuter account for mass transit or parking, a wellness stipend, and more.
Bird is the world
Bird stands for a culture of inclusion. We celebrate different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives —encouraging everyone to bring their authentic selves to work. We have a diverse environment that empowers our team to feel comfortable when they voice their opinions. For these reasons and more Bird is a proud equal employment opportunity employer. We welcome everyone regardless of their race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or genetics, and we are dedicated to providing an inclusive, open, and diverse work environment.
Sound like a place you’d like to work? Sweet. Let’s chat.