Public Affairs - Research Coordinator
New York City, New York
Communications – Public Affairs
Who is Bird
At Bird, we’re on a mission to make cities more livable by reducing traffic and carbon emissions with an affordable, convenient, and eco-friendly transportation option. We planted roots in Los Angeles, California. Now, our fleet of electric scooters are available to riders in cities around the world for short trips or the “last mile” of their journey. In our first year, Bird launched in over 100 cities and provided over 10 million rides. And we’re only just getting started.
As Research Coordinator you will work with the Public Affairs - Research team to advance research that builds public understanding of scooters/shared micro-mobility and advances the conversation about the future of urban mobility. You will support the team on policy research projects across topic areas, and help build partnerships with outside researchers and and supporters to amplify the team’s efforts. You will combine your interest in transportation, natural curiosity, and analytical skills to build expertise on a range of topics that will help build Bird’s business and continue our leadership in the dockless mobility space.
In a given week, you may develop one-pagers on emerging issues, gather insights from public data, and develop new communications materials for the wider Bird team. You will also help team members prepare for meetings with elected officials and regulators, and represent Bird at industry events related to your areas of focus. You will suggest new areas for research and thought leadership, and keep our existing research products up-to-date.
The Research Coordinator will support the subject matter leads across the research team, including sustainability, safety, and transportation & mobility. The right candidate will play a critical role in helping the department to stay responsive to new issues as they arise, and keeping ongoing priorities moving forward.
- Identify and track issues related to micro-mobility, urban planning, state and/or local government standards and regulations.
- Support Public Affairs managers in developing and keeping research projects on track and responding to new demands as necessary.
- Draft and edit one-pagers, infographics, presentations, and reports for strategic outreach and communications projects.
- Keep the research library organized and up-to-date.
- BA required
- Well organized with highly developed research and writing skills.
- Experience and/or demonstrated interest in road safety, sustainability, transit, and/or urban design a plus.
- Self-starter, flexible, able to run with assigned tasks. Deadline oriented and collaborative by nature.
- Ability to be highly responsive and willing to work flexible hours. Bird acts quickly and being able to adapt to changing internal and external conditions is extremely important
- Likewise, an ability to manage shifting assignments and multiple projects at the same time is a must.
- Graphic skills a plus.
Culture at Bird
We're an ambitious, smart, and open-minded group. Our employees are passionate about our mission, and eager to complete their work at the highest level. The office itself is up tempo and supportive, because we care about each other. People first, people.
We want people to succeed at Bird, so we give our teams plenty of time off to relax and recharge. We also offer a generous employer-paid healthcare coverage, on-demand doctor visits, childcare support, a pre-tax commuter account for mass transit or parking, a wellness stipend, and more.
Bird is the world
Bird stands for a culture of inclusion. We celebrate different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives —encouraging everyone to bring their authentic selves to work. We have a diverse environment that empowers our team to feel comfortable when they voice their opinions. For these reasons and more Bird is a proud equal employment opportunity employer. We welcome everyone regardless of their race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or genetics, and we are dedicated to to providing an inclusive, open, and diverse work environment.
Sound like a place you’d like to work? Sweet. Let’s chat.