Electrical Engineer - Sustaining
Culver City, California
Vehicle – Vehicle Engineering
Who is Bird
At Bird, we’re on a mission to make cities more livable by reducing traffic and carbon emissions with an affordable, convenient, and eco-friendly transportation option. We planted roots in Los Angeles, California. Now, our fleet of electric scooters is available to riders in cities around the world for short trips or the “last mile” of their journey. In our first year, Bird launched in over 100 cities and provided over 10 million rides. And we’re only just getting started.
As member of the Sustaining Engineering team, Electrical Sustaining Engineers are responsible for continuous improvement and manufacturing excellence for existing products.
- Lead post-launch sustaining engineering activities intended to support a smooth transition of new and existing production improvements into full rate production
- Responsible for managing medium-large scale and/or moderately complex departmental and cross-functional development projects
- Act as liaison between design engineering, product management, operations, quality, supply chain and other stakeholders to identify and prioritize critical project milestones and deliverables
- Assist overseas and US engineering teams with technical issues to ensure mutual understanding and smooth collaboration between Engineering, Contract Manufacturers and Suppliers
- Evaluate and troubleshoot electronic circuitry and provide technical feedback for root cause investigations and supplier designs in progress
- Review supplier PCBA layout, physical PCBs, electronics, design and quality
- Design and support production of line tooling and test equipment
- Evaluate design solutions as well as perform electronics functional tests
- Work with other Electrical, Mechanical, and Validation Engineers in analysis, investigation and resolution of supplier related engineering problems
- Evaluate valuate power electronic circuitry and select components according to requirements
- Manage schematic capture and PCBA layout of all prototype electronics
- Test and qualify alternate components due to obsolescence
- Evaluate design solutions as well as perform power electronics functional test and system integration
- Bachelor’s (B.S.) Degree in Electrical Engineering, or similar technical discipline, from an accredited institution
- 3+ years leading cross-functional project teams without direct supervisory responsibilities
- 3+ years of engineering design and manufacturing experience in a med-high to high volume production facility and product development environment
- Prior experience with embedded electronics design containing microcontrollers, DSPs, programmable logic devices (FPGA, CPLD), memory, high speed signaling, MEMS sensors, etc
- Design for Manufacturability (DFM) & Design for Test (DFT)
- Microprocessor, microcontroller experience including testing
- Proficiency with Altium Designer or similar software
- Be flexible to travel domestically and internationally according to business necessity, up to 10%.
- Troubleshooting motors, motor controllers, battery management systems, power supplies, inverters / converters, and/or power electronics
- Digital, analog and circuit design, battery safety (DOT and HALT), testing and validation experience
- Experience working with domestic and overseas suppliers, and contract manufacturers
- Experience with RF and Bluetooth communication
- Experience with embedded firmware
- Experience with CANbus, UART, I2C, and SPI communications
Culture at Bird
We're an ambitious, smart, and open-minded group. Our employees are passionate about our mission, and eager to complete their work at the highest level. The office itself is up tempo and supportive, because we care about each other. People first, people.
We want people to succeed at Bird, so we give our teams plenty of time off to relax and recharge. We also offer a generous employer-paid healthcare coverage, on-demand doctor visits, childcare support, a pre-tax commuter account for mass transit or parking, a wellness stipend, and more.
Bird is the world
Bird stands for a culture of inclusion. We celebrate different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives —encouraging everyone to bring their authentic selves to work. We have a diverse environment that empowers our team to feel comfortable when they voice their opinions. For these reasons and more Bird is a proud equal employment opportunity employer. We welcome everyone regardless of their race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or genetics, and we are dedicated to providing an inclusive, open, and diverse work environment.
Sound like a place you’d like to work? Sweet. Let’s chat.