Validation Engineer, Mechanical
Culver City, California
Vehicle – Vehicle Engineering
Who is Bird
At Bird, we’re on a mission to make cities more livable by reducing traffic and carbon emissions with an affordable, convenient, and eco-friendly transportation option. We planted roots in Los Angeles, California. Now, our fleet of electric scooters is available to riders in cities around the world for short trips or the “last mile” of their journey. In our first year, Bird launched in over 100 cities and provided over 10 million rides. And we’re only just getting started.
As a validation engineer, you’ll work with design engineering, quality, and service to participate in design reviews, collaborate on DFMEAs, develop and execute test plans and close the feedback loop on issues found to support development and validate vehicles for safe and reliable product launches.
- Primarily mechanical and environmental testing at the component, subsystem and vehicle level, but also assist with electrical, software and other system level testing as needed
- Develop requirements and create/execute test plans to ensure real-world reliability/durability based on actual customer use and field failures
- Perform root cause analysis on problems found and provide feedback to the development team to improve the design
- Design, purchase, maintain and operate test equipment and infrastructure; experience developing test rigs is preferred
- Evaluate field issues and propose solutions that align with design, manufacturing, supplier quality, and operations
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent experience
- Minimum 2-5 years of relevant experience in design verification/validation testing (title will be determined by your level of experience and what you can bring to the team)
- Ability to think outside the box and find creative solutions.
- Multi-tasking, self-starting and high sense of urgency to complete tasks
- SAE competition experience preferred but not required
- Strong understanding of vehicle systems and their interactions
- Hands-on experience with DAQs and various transducers: accelerometers, loadcells, etc.
- Very hands-on in general: can perform basic wiring, use various hand and powered tools
- Machine shop experience preferred: lathe, mill, grinders, drill presses, etc.
- Experience with both accelerated and non-accelerated testing preferred
- Experience working with suppliers/vendors
- Experience with 3D CAD
- Understanding of DVP&R and DFMEA documents
- Understanding of mechanical vibration/shock, component mating/unmating cycling, electrical high current/temperature rise, IP sealing, thermal shock, humidity, salt fog/mist tests
- Knowledge of automotive industry standards such as SAE, ISO, UL, and GB/T.
- Familiarity with vehicle Controller Area Network (CAN) communication interface
- Familiarity with Vector CANoe / CANalyzer preferred but not required
- Able to travel domestically and internationally as required
- Proficient with basic Microsoft office tools (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
Culture at Bird
We're an ambitious, smart, and open-minded group. Our employees are passionate about our mission, and eager to complete their work at the highest level. The office itself is up tempo and supportive, because we care about each other. People first, people.
We want people to succeed at Bird, so we give our teams plenty of time off to relax and recharge. We also offer a generous employer-paid healthcare coverage, on-demand doctor visits, childcare support, a pre-tax commuter account for mass transit or parking, a wellness stipend, and more.
Bird is the world
Bird stands for a culture of inclusion. We celebrate different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives —encouraging everyone to bring their authentic selves to work. We have a diverse environment that empowers our team to feel comfortable when they voice their opinions. For these reasons and more Bird is a proud equal employment opportunity employer. We welcome everyone regardless of their race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or genetics, and we are dedicated to providing an inclusive, open, and diverse work environment.
Sound like a place you’d like to work? Sweet. Let’s chat.