General Manager - Nordics
Operations – City Operations
Who is Bird
At Bird, we’re on a mission to make cities more livable by reducing traffic and carbon emissions with an affordable, convenient, and eco-friendly transportation option. We planted roots in Los Angeles, California. Now, our fleet of electric scooters are available to riders in cities around the world for short trips or the “last mile” of their journey. In our first year, Bird launched in over 100 cities and provided over 10 million rides. And we’re only just getting started.
As a General Manager, you’ll be responsible for the growth and success of Bird in your cities. This is one of the most challenging and rewarding roles at Bird, requiring a diverse set of operational, analytical, marketing, community building, and leadership abilities. You’ll manage local teams dedicated to delivering a seamless experience to both riders and their communities and be an influencer of central Bird teams and resources to help deliver on goals and build for scale. If you are up to the task, able to think on your feet, manage through ambiguity/adversity of a quickly shifting and growing industry, and manage and develop high performing teams - all while delivering results, we want to speak with you!
- Deliver world class fleet operations within your cities, managing all aspects of local operations and optimising for efficiency and utilisation of Bird vehicles
- Own growth of the business, driving execution to boost rider base, rides, and revenue in a dynamic, highly competitive space
- Build and develop strong relationships with senior cross-functional leaders (e.g. marketing, government relations, communications, data science, business development) and help define the goals and objectives of these teams at the local level
- Identify and communicate local product needs to product/engineering teams and playbook and share best practices internally to build for scale across the organisation
- Remove blockers, solve problems, and find a path forward through ambiguity, operating a dynamic and rapidly growing business across urban footprints
- Represent Bird in the community, local media, and in communication with key city stakeholders
- Recruit and build a thriving local ops team; You will be defining hiring needs and leading the hiring process while managing a growing team of Fleet Leads, Fleet Specialists, and Fleet Technicians
- Create a fun, safe, collaborative, and high energy work culture while developing the next generation of leaders at Bird
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent
- 7+ years of operations management, business consulting, or related experience managing operations, building and developing diverse teams, optimising processes, and delivering business goals
- 5+ years of managing a team
- English and Swedish is a must
- Goal focused with a strong bias toward action
- High EQ, and proven ability to deliver outstanding results through others in a timely manner using a strong sense of focus, organisation, and meticulous attention to detail
- Entrepreneurial hustle, self-starter with owner’s mentality; some entrepreneurial experience is preferred
- Data-driven mindset, strong business judgment, and proven ability to perform analysis, draw key insights, and form and execute a strategy
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills to build sustainable relationships, manage a team, influence stakeholders, and inspire others
- Excellent organisation and time management
- Willingness to get your hands dirty, lead by example, and motivate teams both through in-person and remote management
- Passion for Bird, its role improving city environments, and an interest in the “share economy” and platform methodology
- Impressive academic record, MBA or advanced degree is a plus
Culture at Bird
We're an ambitious, smart, and open-minded group. Our employees are passionate about our mission, and eager to complete their work at the highest level. The office itself is up tempo and supportive, because we care about each other. People first, people.
Bird is the world
Bird stands for a culture of inclusion. We celebrate different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives —encouraging everyone to bring their authentic selves to work. We have a diverse environment that empowers our team to feel comfortable when they voice their opinions. For these reasons and more Bird is a proud equal employment opportunity employer. We welcome everyone regardless of their race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or genetics, and we are dedicated to to providing an inclusive, open, and diverse work environment.
Sound like a place you’d like to work? Sweet. Let’s chat.