Director, Data Science
Santa Monica, California
Data – Data
Who is Bird
At Bird, we’re on a mission to make cities more livable by reducing traffic and carbon emissions with an affordable, convenient, and eco-friendly transportation option. We planted roots in Los Angeles, California. Now, our fleet of electric scooters is available to riders in cities around the world for short trips or the “last mile” of their journey. In our first year, Bird launched in over 100 cities and provided over 10 million rides. And we’re only just getting started.
As the Director of Data Science, you will grow and manage a high-performing team that works across the entire organization.
You'll be responsible for pushing the business forward on all fronts, supported by the insights derived from your deep understanding of our data and operations. You'll be partnering with our executives and supporting their decision-making during this critical time of scaling the business.
- Grow and manage a team of high performing data scientists
- Develop data-driven insights and machine learning models that optimize the numerous aspects of the Bird experience and business model.
- Develop end-to-end algorithmic products
- Take part of a highly collaborative team of data scientists that work closely with teams throughout Bird to develop, test and deploy data science products
- Communicate results to peers, partner groups, and senior leadership
- M.S. or PhD degree in STEM field, with explicit application of ML/statistics tools/methods
- 7-10+ years of experience managing managers that drive business decisions through data
- Experience in high-growth technology, strategy consulting, business intelligence, investment banking or private equity
- Strong background in ML, mathematics, and statistics, including unsupervised and supervised methods
- Significant experience with ML tools and coding within python, and/or R
- Self-motivated and excited to develop amazing algorithms
- Be a core contributor to the data science team and culture at Bird
- Bonus: Strong background in time-series analytics, dynamical systems, probabilistic state modeling and/or reinforcement learning
- Bonus points for significant experience working with large datasets and large-scale production and their accompanying tools (e.g. hadoop, spark, cloud-based architectures, etc.)
- Experience with java and/or Kotlin a plus
- Experience with data science applied to logistics systems a plus
Culture at Bird
We're an ambitious, smart, and open-minded group. Our employees are passionate about our mission, and eager to complete their work at the highest level. The office itself is up tempo and supportive, because we care about each other. People first, people.
We want people to succeed at Bird, so we give our teams plenty of time off to relax and recharge. We also offer a generous employer-paid healthcare coverage, on-demand doctor visits, childcare support, a pre-tax commuter account for mass transit or parking, a wellness stipend, and more.
Bird is the world
Bird stands for a culture of inclusion. We celebrate different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives —encouraging everyone to bring their authentic selves to work. We have a diverse environment that empowers our team to feel comfortable when they voice their opinions. For these reasons and more Bird is a proud equal employment opportunity employer. We welcome everyone regardless of their race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or genetics, and we are dedicated to providing an inclusive, open, and diverse work environment.
Sound like a place you’d like to work? Sweet. Let’s chat.