Senior Associate, Safety Advocacy
Communications – Public Affairs
Who is Bird
At Bird, we’re on a mission to make cities more livable by reducing traffic and carbon emissions with an affordable, convenient, and eco-friendly transportation option. We planted roots in Los Angeles, California. Now, our fleet of electric scooters is available to riders in cities around the world for short trips or the “last mile” of their journey. In our first year, Bird launched in over 100 cities and provided over 10 million rides. And we’re only just getting started.
Safety precedes everything we do at Bird. From vehicle design to fleet management, operational practices and local partnerships to redesign streets, Bird prioritizes the safety of our riders and the health and well being of the communities we serve.
We are actively searching for the perfect candidate for a Safety Advocacy role to develop Bird’s industry-leading safety policies and research partnerships.
The Sr. Associate will work closely with the broader Bird Public Affairs team, as well as the Communications, Government Partnerships, Operations, and Product teams. The role will report to Bird’s NY-based Safety Policy Director and will be based in Santa Monica, San Francisco, New York or Washington, DC, with travel as needed.
- Be an external advocate for Bird, promoting our vision of safer cities through public speaking engagements at industry conferences and events, and with the media when required
- Develop deep issue expertise on the safety policy issues impacting Bird, identifying strategic opportunities and forming policy proposals / positions when appropriate
- Create third-party engagement strategies and policy and research partnerships with professionals, institutions and advocacy organizations
- Perform rapid data analysis and synthesize documents that advance and defend Bird’s safety policy positions
- Create materials and develop analyses to educate communities and policymakers about the safety benefits of replacing car trips and re-orienting transportation policies and infrastructure to favor micro-mobility
- Articulate a vision for how responsible shared micro-mobility can further cities’ Vision Zero goals and promote this to government and third party stakeholders
- Assist the regional Government Partnerships teams in developing strategies, campaigns and applications that advance best-practice safety regulation
- Be an internal advocate for safety issues with other teams at Bird, and push Bird to always strive to do better
- Partner with the Communications team to build campaigns on topics related to safety, rider responsibility and micro-mobility infrastructure
- 6+ years of experience working on policy matters in a governmental role, the private sector, consulting firm, NGO or think tank
- Bachelor’s degree, with preference for graduate degree or demonstrated subject matter expertise in urban affairs
- Significant analytical experience, including ability to analyze data to identify trends and implications
- Preference for individuals with experience speaking with press
- Ability to quickly learn highly technical policy subject matter and communicate it in a compelling, relatable way
- A national network of urban policy contacts
- Experience working in rapidly evolving environments with a comfort for ambiguity and a natural ability to focus on the right information
- Demonstrated ability to be a self-starter, and own / drive priorities within your portfolio
- Strong project management skills with the ability to drive results cross-functionally
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal
- Conversant with Powerpoint / Google Slides and Excel / Google Sheets
- Flexibility to travel as needed
Culture at Bird
We're an ambitious, smart, and open-minded group. Our employees are passionate about our mission, and eager to complete their work at the highest level. The office itself is up tempo and supportive, because we care about each other. People first, people.
We want people to succeed at Bird, so we give our teams plenty of time off to relax and recharge. We also offer a generous employer-paid healthcare coverage, on-demand doctor visits, childcare support, a pre-tax commuter account for mass transit or parking, a wellness stipend, and more.
Bird is the world
Bird stands for a culture of inclusion. We celebrate different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives —encouraging everyone to bring their authentic selves to work. We have a diverse environment that empowers our team to feel comfortable when they voice their opinions. For these reasons and more Bird is a proud equal employment opportunity employer. We welcome everyone regardless of their race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or genetics, and we are dedicated to providing an inclusive, open, and diverse work environment.
Sound like a place you’d like to work? Sweet. Let’s chat.