APAC RF Security Engineer
Culver City, California
Vehicle – Vehicle Engineering
Who is Bird
At Bird, we’re on a mission to make cities more livable by reducing traffic and carbon emissions with an affordable, convenient, and eco-friendly transportation option. We planted roots in Los Angeles, California. Now, our fleet of electric scooters is available to riders in cities around the world for short trips or the “last mile” of their journey. In our first year, Bird launched in over 100 cities and provided over 10 million rides. And we’re only just getting started.
As an RF Security Engineer at Bird, you will engage with an experienced cross-disciplinary staff to conceive and design innovative products. You will work closely with an internal interdisciplinary team, and outside partners to drive key aspects of product definition, execution and test. You must be responsive, flexible and able to succeed within an open collaborative peer environment. As part of the global vehicle security team, you will be responsible for implementation and review of wireless designs. This includes the development of RF security solutions from baseband to antenna. In this role you will work within a project team for high bandwidth wireless implementation, meet with vendors and technology suppliers to select components, implement, validate, and optimize RF circuits, resolve self and other system security issues. The main objective of this role is to support all the various IoT networks available on Bird’s development boards and OEM modules including supporting the embedded team, the manufacturing activities, test and certification activities as well as Bird’s developer.
- Work with the vehicle team to improve the security of the current fleet of vehicles
- Review existing RF protocols and research vulnerabilities and security enhancements
- Work with the bug bounty team to triage security reports related to RF communications
- Build interconnected systems that can communicate in a mesh topology
- Work with our RF engineers to develop secure protocols and implementations
- Help with sourcing for components
- Assist in validating suppliers
- Research new and effective ways to improve security
- 5+ years of relevant experience in RF and Wireless Communications Industry and/or Hardware Technology Company
- Knowledge and understanding of analogue and digital communications via embedded systems
- Experience with current and upcoming RF standards in cellular (4G/5G), WiMAX, 802.11ad, microwave backhaul, or similar broadband wireless standards.
- Ability to co-design and work with vehicle systems architects driving development and qualification of new products
- Experience in programming languages such as C, C++, Python and Java.
- Experience working with off-shore manufacturers with understanding of high volume manufacturing process with willingness and ability to travel internationally
- Ability to speak English and Mandarin
- A high learning agility and an interest in working in a start-up development environment
- Self driven, curious strong learner
- Experience in RF development and testing on wireless technologies, such as WLAN, Bluetooth, Cellular (LTE-M (CAT-NB1 and CAT-M1), LoRa/LoRaWAN, WiFi and Sigfox
- Hands on experience with RF lab equipment including VNA, power meters, spectrum analyzers, vector signal generators
- Experience with Vehicle-to-Vehicle and V2X technologies
- Experience with Mesh networking technologies
- Experience with Radar/Lidar technologies
Culture at Bird
We're an ambitious, smart, and open-minded group. Our employees are passionate about our mission, and eager to complete their work at the highest level. The office itself is up tempo and supportive, because we care about each other. People first, people.
We want people to succeed at Bird, so we give our teams plenty of time off to relax and recharge. We also offer a generous employer-paid healthcare coverage, on-demand doctor visits, childcare support, a pre-tax commuter account for mass transit or parking, a wellness stipend, and more.
Bird is the world
Bird stands for a culture of inclusion. We celebrate different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives —encouraging everyone to bring their authentic selves to work. We have a diverse environment that empowers our team to feel comfortable when they voice their opinions. For these reasons and more Bird is a proud equal employment opportunity employer. We welcome everyone regardless of their race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or genetics, and we are dedicated to providing an inclusive, open, and diverse work environment.
Sound like a place you’d like to work? Sweet. Let’s chat.