Associate Quality Engineer - Sustaining
Culver City, California
Vehicle – Vehicle Engineering
Who is Bird
At Bird, we’re on a mission to make cities more livable by reducing traffic and carbon emissions with an affordable, convenient, and eco-friendly transportation option. We planted roots in Los Angeles, California. Now, our fleet of electric scooters is available to riders in cities around the world for short trips or the “last mile” of their journey. In our first year, Bird launched in over 100 cities and provided over 10 million rides. And we’re only just getting started.
As member of the Sustaining Engineering team, Quality Engineers are responsible for driving quality manufacturing excellence and process improvements for existing products. Primary focus is: Production Part Approval process/PPAP, PFMEA open issues, ensuring manufacturing conformity, setting up quality processes, process improvement, and driving quality awareness.
- Lead and implement quality improvements, review/audit manufacturing processes and quality systems at suppliers
- Lead and perform PFEMA on new and existing projects
- Implement and monitor the part qualification and certification process
- Determine cause of supplier quality problems (RCA) and coordinate/implement effective and timely resolutions (CAPA)
- Assure supplier understanding of product (and PPAP submission requirements)
- Review and approve supplier quality plans on new parts and programs
- Monitor supplier performance (KPI for Quality, including PPM and SCAR)
- Create and report quality metrics - Cost of Quality, Failure Rate, MTFB, Defect Rate etc.
- Lead and support sustaining and quality improvement projects with strong sense of urgency.
- Lead post-launch sustaining activities intended to support a smooth transition into production while maintaining high quality standards.
- Active engagement with the design team to establish quality plan and requirements
- Determine acceptable test equipment/tools, inspection criteria and methods to evaluate product quality
- Service Center Quality
- Improve quality performance of Bird service centers by conducting audits, providing technical assistance, training and developing a quality system and provide other technical support as required
- Drive quality to subassemblies and components
- Ensure quality is met on new finished goods and that repaired vehicles meet quality standards
- Bachelor’s (B.S.) Degree in Mechanical, or other technical discipline, from an accredited institution
- 2+ years leading cross-functional project teams without direct supervisory responsibilities
- 2+ years of engineering design and manufacturing experience in a med-high to high volume production facility and product development environment
- Practical working experience with Geometric Dimensioning & Tolerancing (GD&T) and tolerance stack analysis
- Ability to measure part dimensions as specified to ensure conformance to specifications
- Fundamental to advanced knowledge of good manufacturing processes/methods, process capability, part tooling and machining processes
- Good understanding of QMS practices and its relation to overall product quality
- Highly detail oriented, organized and organizationally agile individual preferred
- Have knowledge of NPI and product development process.
- Proficient using Microsoft Office suite, ERP system(s)
- Experience with electronics and materials exposed to outdoor environments a plus
- Injection molding, die casting and process experience a plus
- Ability to work independently with minimal direction
- Be flexible to travel domestically and internationally according to business necessity, up to 10% of time
- Experience working with domestic and overseas suppliers and contract manufacturers
- Experience with product qualification, testing and validation
- Experience working in an AS9100 or ISO9001 environment
Culture at Bird
We're an ambitious, smart, and open-minded group. Our employees are passionate about our mission, and eager to complete their work at the highest level. The office itself is up tempo and supportive, because we care about each other. People first, people.
We want people to succeed at Bird, so we give our teams plenty of time off to relax and recharge. We also offer a generous employer-paid healthcare coverage, on-demand doctor visits, childcare support, a pre-tax commuter account for mass transit or parking, a wellness stipend, and more.
Bird is the world
Bird stands for a culture of inclusion. We celebrate different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives —encouraging everyone to bring their authentic selves to work. We have a diverse environment that empowers our team to feel comfortable when they voice their opinions. For these reasons and more Bird is a proud equal employment opportunity employer. We welcome everyone regardless of their race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or genetics, and we are dedicated to providing an inclusive, open, and diverse work environment.
Sound like a place you’d like to work? Sweet. Let’s chat.