Firmware Engineer - R&D
Vehicle – R&D
Who is Bird
At Bird, we’re on a mission to make cities more livable by reducing traffic and carbon emissions with an affordable, convenient, and eco-friendly transportation option. We planted roots in Los Angeles, California. Now, our fleet of electric scooters are available to riders in cities around the world for short trips or the “last mile” of their journey. In our first year, Bird launched in over 100 cities and provided over 10 million rides. And we’re only just getting started.
Birds R&D department is responsible for assessing new technologies, adapting existing technologies and ensuring products conform to all relevant safety, environmental & functional certifications. We support the Production Team whenever they encounter a problem during manufacturing. R&D also brings in new vehicle suppliers and ensures they conform to Birds strict quality and performance specifications. R&D has a large number of special projects in the pipeline ranging from small mechanical devices to complete vehicle systems.
Reporting to the Head of R&D, the Firmware Engineer will be responsible for coding a multitude of firmware solutions for a wide variety of devices. The Firmware Engineer will work closely with Electrical Engineers, Technicians and other Bird team members to produce brilliantly engineered devices for use with Bird vehicles.
- Develop firmware for Bird’s fleet of Electric Vehicles and accessories
- Collaborate with Electrical/Electronics Engineers, to develop these systems
- Develop firmware installation and QC processes for new products
- Tune system performance & verify operational efficiencies
- Bachelor degree or higher in computer science, electronic engineering or similar
- Strong experience and proficiency in embedded languages, particularly with C
- 3+ years preferred in at least 3 of the following: firmware development, testing, & debugging, FreeRTOS, CANbus, UART, I2C, & SPI communications, Motor Control Systems, ST microcontrollers
- Experience developing firmware for tracking devices, control systems, and RF products
- Knowledge of PCB design, using schematic capture and layout tools. Altium preferred
- Knowledge of version control tools (GIT, SVN, or the like)
- Experience with Firmware Over the Air Process
- Experience developing Bootloaders and programming over CAN
- Experience with Nordic Semiconductor platforms
- Experience with FCC, CE, UL regulatory bodies and requirements
Culture at Bird
We're an ambitious, smart, and open-minded group. Our employees are passionate about our mission, and eager to complete their work at the highest level. The office itself is up tempo and supportive, because we care about each other. People first, people.
Bird is the world
Bird stands for a culture of inclusion. We celebrate different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives —encouraging everyone to bring their authentic selves to work. We have a diverse environment that empowers our team to feel comfortable when they voice their opinions. For these reasons and more Bird is a proud equal employment opportunity employer. We welcome everyone regardless of their race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or genetics, and we are dedicated to to providing an inclusive, open, and diverse work environment.
Sound like a place you’d like to work? Sweet. Let’s chat.