Culver City, California
Vehicle – Vehicle Engineering
Who is Bird
At Bird, we’re on a mission to make cities more livable by reducing traffic and carbon emissions with an affordable, convenient, and eco-friendly transportation option. We planted roots in Los Angeles, California. Now, our fleet of electric scooters is available to riders in cities around the world for short trips or the “last mile” of their journey. In our first year, Bird launched in over 100 cities and provided over 10 million rides. And we’re only just getting started.
As a member of the Vehicle Engineering team, Quality Techs are responsible for driving quality manufacturing excellence. Primary focus is: FAI, Production Part Approval Process/PPAP, PFMEA open issues, SCARs, ensuring manufacturing conformity, setting up quality processes, process improvement, and driving quality awareness.
- Perform dimensional measurement inspections using mechanical measurement tools.
- Generate FAI inspection reports
- Take dimensional measurements that are both accurate and repeatable.
- Visually inspect parts for damage and defects
- Validate assemblies are within tolerance and provide clear reports articulating where assemblies are out of tolerance
- Conduct failure analysis product and vehicle defects
- Understand and apply basic metrology techniques using hand tools, gages and fixtures
- Perform inspection activities on parts/components manufactured by internal and/or external suppliers
- Maintain documentation and records, electronic and/or hard-copy format, as objective evidence for quality system audits. (Must understand the audit process in general.)
- Use various tools (e.g., reverse traceability, product recall, root cause analysis, etc.) in response to out-of-tolerance conditions for inspection, measuring and test equipment.
- Interface with clients to explain out of tolerance conditions and findings
- Conduct tests and inspections of products, services or processes to evaluate quality or performance
- Communicate with Quality Engineers, Process Engineers, Product Engineers, and others as necessary regarding transfer of data and methods of measurement
- Associates (A.A) Degree in Mechanical, Machine shop or similar technical discipline
- 3+ years working with offshore contract manufacturers
- 3+ years working with cross-functional project teams
- 3+ years of experience in a medium-high to high volume production facility with involvement in the product development process
- Practical working experience with Geometric Dimensioning & Tolerancing (GD&T)and tolerance stack analysis. Formal training is desired, but not a substitute for experience
- Ability to measure part dimensions as specified to ensure conformance to specifications
- Fundamental to advanced knowledge of good manufacturing processes/methods, process capability, part tooling and machining processes
- Good understanding of QMS practices and its relation to overall product quality
- Highly detail oriented, organized and organizationally agile individual preferred
- Proficient using Microsoft Office suite, ERP system(s), and experience with electronics and materials exposed to outdoor environments a plusInjection molding, die casting and process experience a plus
- Ability to work independently with minimal direction
- Must be able to determine when to apply rounding rules to measurement and calibration results. Included in this is the rounding off that takes place during measurement unit conversions (inch to metric, etc.)
- Perform layout inspections to support, but are not limited to, PPAP verifications, First Article inspections and special requests
- Conduct first piece inspections on tools as necessary to facilitate tool acceptance and control
- Maintain records of inspections and product acceptance performance
- Interface with customers to explain out of tolerance conditions and findings
- Communicate effectively in the English language
- Be flexible to travel domestically and internationally according to business necessity, up to 10% of the time
- Experience working with domestic and overseas suppliers and engineers
- Experience with product qualification, testing, validation and Design of Experiments
- Experience working in an AS9100 or ISO9001 environment
- Experience working in a regulated industry, FMVSS is a plus
- ASQ CQT or CQI certification preferred
Culture at Bird
We're an ambitious, smart, and open-minded group. Our employees are passionate about our mission, and eager to complete their work at the highest level. The office itself is up tempo and supportive, because we care about each other. People first, people.
We want people to succeed at Bird, so we give our teams plenty of time off to relax and recharge. We also offer a generous employer-paid healthcare coverage, on-demand doctor visits, childcare support, a pre-tax commuter account for mass transit or parking, a wellness stipend, and more.
Bird is the world
Bird stands for a culture of inclusion. We celebrate different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives —encouraging everyone to bring their authentic selves to work. We have a diverse environment that empowers our team to feel comfortable when they voice their opinions. For these reasons and more Bird is a proud equal employment opportunity employer. We welcome everyone regardless of their race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or genetics, and we are dedicated to providing an inclusive, open, and diverse work environment.
Sound like a place you’d like to work? Sweet. Let’s chat.