Director of Vehicle Engineering, San Francisco
San Francisco, California
Vehicle – Vehicle Engineering
Who is Bird
At Bird, we’re on a mission to make cities more livable by reducing traffic and carbon emissions with an affordable, convenient, and eco-friendly transportation option. We planted roots in Los Angeles, California. Now, our fleet of electric scooters is available to riders in cities around the world for short trips or the “last mile” of their journey. In our first year, Bird launched in over 100 cities and provided over 10 million rides. And we’re only just getting started.
Our team is comprised of incredibly diverse skill sets from electrical engineers, to performance marketers, to fleet mechanics, and designers. All of us are unified by a passion for our mission, our tenacity at getting there, and our desire to have a bunch of fun while we do.
The Director of Vehicle Engineering will lead Bird's team to research, develop and manufacturing of key technologies integral to most advanced fleet of electric vehicles in the world, including electric scooters, electric cars, electric bicycles, and other types of light electric vehicles. You are a skilled manager of engineers across multiple disciplines.
- Lead and build a team with diverse backgrounds in areas such as robotics, controls, vehicle engineering, ME, EE, firmware.
- Solve complex problems at speed while leading a team in different phases of development, ensuring we stay on track to hit daring growth targets.
- You have passionate work ethic, relationship - building skills, analytical skills, a strategic mindset, resourcefulness, and the ability to work effectively with multi-functional team members.
- Travel internationally to support development builds, build trust with suppliers and understand how to collaborate to tackle any issue.
- You have a keen vision and awareness of new technologies, applications and use cases.
- You are laser-focused on the smallest details that are meaningful to our customers. We need your help to keep our customers on the road, riding our service frequently and safely.
- BS / MS in Engineering or higher
- 10+ Years of Engineering experience; 3-5 years managing a team
- Experience in power electronics development, manufacturing and motor control principles
- Experience in PCB design, using schematic and layout tools. Altium preferred.
- Experience developing firmware for tracking devices, control systems, and RF products
- Strong experience and proficiency in embedded languages, particularly with C / C++
- Experience with CANbus, UART, I2C, and SPI communications
- Knowledge of version control tools (GIT, SVN, or the like)
- Experience with FCC, CE, UL regulatory bodies and requirements will help you when we're bringing products to market.
Culture at Bird
We're an ambitious, smart, and open-minded group. Our employees are passionate about our mission, and eager to complete their work at the highest level. The office itself is up tempo and supportive, because we care about each other. People first, people.
We want people to succeed at Bird, so we give our teams plenty of time off to relax and recharge. We also offer a generous employer-paid healthcare coverage, on-demand doctor visits, childcare support, a pre-tax commuter account for mass transit or parking, a wellness stipend, and more.
Bird is the world
Bird stands for a culture of inclusion. We celebrate different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives —encouraging everyone to bring their authentic selves to work. We have a diverse environment that empowers our team to feel comfortable when they voice their opinions. For these reasons and more Bird is a proud equal employment opportunity employer. We welcome everyone regardless of their race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or genetics, and we are dedicated to providing an inclusive, open, and diverse work environment.
Sound like a place you’d like to work? Sweet. Let’s chat.