Site Reliability Engineer
Santa Monica, California
Engineering – Infrastructure
Who is Bird
At Bird, we’re on a mission to make cities more livable by reducing traffic and carbon emissions with an affordable, convenient, and eco-friendly transportation option. We planted roots in Los Angeles, California. Now, our fleet of electric scooters are available to riders in cities around the world for short trips or the “last mile” of their journey. In our first year, Bird launched in over 100 cities and provided over 10 million rides. And we’re only just getting started.
- Design, build, develop and maintain automation software, scripts, and tools
- Collaborate with product owners to ensure important metrics are being monitored
- Setup monitoring and alerting systems
- Research & practice best practices and mentor fellow engineers
- Help steer architectural decisions
- Collaborate with software developers to deploy applications
- Debug distributed applications
- Help write and distribute post-mortems
- Performance profile and tune Linux applications
- Troubleshoot production environments
- Help manage and be part of an on-call schedule
You'll need extensive experience with:
- Provisioning, deploying, and operating large scale web services
- AWS, including CloudWatch and Autoscaling
- Automation techniques accomplished with Chef, Puppet, CFEngine, Ansible or an equivalent
Excellent understanding of:
- Large scale platform architecture
- Troubleshooting production performance issues in Linux systems
- SQL and at least one other database
- One or more languages such as: go, Java, Ruby, or Python
- Continuous deployment, networking basics such as routing tables, subnets, DNS
- Shell scripting and monitoring/alerting systems
Extensive experience managing:
- Redis or Memcached
- Messaging systems such as RabbitMQ or Kafka
- Database infrastructure and load balancing infrastructure
- Multi-region, multi-country cloud architecture
- Infrastructure that deals with hundreds or thousands of concurrent connections (6+ years or equivalent experience)
- Large scale data migrations
- Mission critical disaster recovery scenarios
This role will require you to participate in being in the on-call rotation with other members of the SRE/DevOps team.
Culture at Bird
We're an ambitious, smart, and open-minded group. Our employees are passionate about our mission, and eager to complete their work at the highest level. The office itself is up tempo and supportive, because we care about each other. People first, people.
We want people to succeed at Bird, so we give our teams plenty of time off to relax and recharge. We also offer a generous employer-paid healthcare coverage, on-demand doctor visits, childcare support, a pre-tax commuter account for mass transit or parking, a wellness stipend, and more.
Bird is the world
Bird stands for a culture of inclusion. We celebrate different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives —encouraging everyone to bring their authentic selves to work. We have a diverse environment that empowers our team to feel comfortable when they voice their opinions. For these reasons and more Bird is a proud equal employment opportunity employer. We welcome everyone regardless of their race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or genetics, and we are dedicated to to providing an inclusive, open, and diverse work environment.
Sound like a place you’d like to work? Sweet. Let’s chat.