Sr. Embedded Controls Engineer
Culver City, California
Vehicle – Vehicle Engineering
Who is Bird
At Bird, we’re on a mission to make cities more livable by reducing traffic and carbon emissions with an affordable, convenient, and eco-friendly transportation option. We planted roots in Los Angeles, California. Now, our fleet of electric scooters is available to riders in cities around the world for short trips or the “last mile” of their journey. In our first year, Bird launched in over 100 cities and provided over 10 million rides. And we’re only just getting started.
- Code control algorithms in MATLAB/Simulink, on customized DSPs and processors
- Integrate production code with MATLAB/Simulink auto-generated code
- Develop unit tests for features modeled in MATLAB/Simulink
- Develop custom instructions to accelerate algorithms
- Develop low level firmware and drivers in C
- Master’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science or a related technical field
- Minimum 5 years of professional experience in MATLAB/Simulink development
- Minimum 3 years of experience with auto code generation using MATLAB/Simulink
- Minimum 5 years of experience with embedded software development & device driver development using C/C++Minimum 2 years of experience with CAN, I2C, SPI, Ethernet, LIN
- Ability to read schematics, bring-up PCBA, troubleshoot, and debug embedded systems using lab tools and measurement equipment (oscilloscopes, debuggers and logic analyzers, etc)
- Experience with Vector tools such as CANape and CANalyzer
- Solid experience in embedded real-time firmware verification
- Experience developing fully automated verification systems including execution, timing analysis, data acquisition, data analysis, and report generation
- Work experience with Confluence, JIRA, BitBucket, GitHub
- Ability to deal with ambiguity, establish priorities, work independently, and proceed with objectives with limited supervision
- Familiar with ARM, STM32, TI, or ATMEL microcontrollers
- Practical knowledge of sensor and actuator physics
- Experience with test and validation of Motor & Electric drivetrain
- Knowledge or working experience with Linux
- Proficient in Python
Culture at Bird
We're an ambitious, smart, and open-minded group. Our employees are passionate about our mission, and eager to complete their work at the highest level. The office itself is up tempo and supportive, because we care about each other. People first, people.
We want people to succeed at Bird, so we give our teams plenty of time off to relax and recharge. We also offer a generous employer-paid healthcare coverage, on-demand doctor visits, childcare support, a pre-tax commuter account for mass transit or parking, a wellness stipend, and more.
Bird is the world
Bird stands for a culture of inclusion. We celebrate different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives —encouraging everyone to bring their authentic selves to work. We have a diverse environment that empowers our team to feel comfortable when they voice their opinions. For these reasons and more Bird is a proud equal employment opportunity employer. We welcome everyone regardless of their race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or genetics, and we are dedicated to providing an inclusive, open, and diverse work environment.
Sound like a place you’d like to work? Sweet. Let’s chat.