Electronics Design Engineer - R&D
Vehicle – R&D
Who is Bird
At Bird, we’re on a mission to make cities more livable by reducing traffic and carbon emissions with an affordable, convenient, and eco-friendly transportation option. We planted roots in Los Angeles, California. Now, our fleet of electric scooters are available to riders in cities around the world for short trips or the “last mile” of their journey. In our first year, Bird launched in over 100 cities and provided over 10 million rides. And we’re only just getting started.
Birds R&D department is responsible for assessing new technologies, adapting existing technologies and ensuring products conform to all relevant safety, environmental & functional certifications. We support the Production Team whenever they encounter a problem during manufacturing. R&D also brings in new suppliers and ensures they conform to Birds strict quality and performance specifications. R&D has a large number of special projects in the pipeline ranging from small electro-mechanical devices to complete state of the art vehicle systems.
Bird is looking for a talented and motivated individual to be a key contributor to Birds success. Reporting to the Head of R&D, the Electronics Design Engineer will have ownership of a wide variety of PCB and electro mechanical projects. Daily tasks will include schematic capture, layout, prototype fabrication, assembly, troubleshooting & writing test firmware. The Electronics Design Engineer will work closely with Mechanical Engineers, Firmware Engineers, Technicians and other Bird team members to produce brilliantly engineered devices for use with Bird vehicles.
This position is based in Shanghai, China.
- Be an expert in all aspects of Altium Designer and Solidworks
- Be responsible for circuit topology, component selection, PCB layout, prototyping, writing test firmware and validating a wide variety of electronics projects.
- Work from preliminary schematics, prototypes, parts lists, basic description of PCB functions, configuration as well as schematics captured from napkin drawings.
- Design multi layer PCB layout for mixed analog, digital and RF designs.
- Understand how to design for various certifications like FCC, CE and UL
- Handle concurrent fast-paced projects with minimal direction
- Contribute to drivetrain and vehicle level integrations from prototype to production
- Provide support to production and assembly during the production of prototypes
- Work closely with Mechanical Engineers, Firmware Engineers, Production and Supply Chain to bring the product into mass production
- Mentoring and training junior engineers
- Travel domestically and internationally as required
- At least 2 years experience using Altium & Solidworks
- At least 2 years writing test & validation firmware for your PCB projects
- Experience in power electronics development and manufacturing
- Solid background in power engineering and controlKnowledge of motor control principles
- Basic understanding of overall electric vehicle components and functions
- Basic sensor types and technologies
- Experience with communication protocols like CAN, SPI, I2C, UART etc.
- Electrical test and debug using industry standard tools (oscilloscope, in-circuit debug, digital multi-meter, etc.)
- Experience working in a startup environment
- A strong desire to create state-of-the-art engineering products as an integral part of a very capable team
- A flair for creative design engineering and problem solving
- Large volume product development experience
Culture at Bird
We're an ambitious, smart, and open-minded group. Our employees are passionate about our mission, and eager to complete their work at the highest level. The office itself is up tempo and supportive, because we care about each other. People first, people.
Bird is the world
Bird stands for a culture of inclusion. We celebrate different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives —encouraging everyone to bring their authentic selves to work. We have a diverse environment that empowers our team to feel comfortable when they voice their opinions. For these reasons and more Bird is a proud equal employment opportunity employer. We welcome everyone regardless of their race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or genetics, and we are dedicated to to providing an inclusive, open, and diverse work environment.
Sound like a place you’d like to work? Sweet. Let’s chat.