Senior Mechanical Engineer - R&D
Vehicle – R&D
Who is Bird
At Bird, we’re on a mission to make cities more livable by reducing traffic and carbon emissions with an affordable, convenient, and eco-friendly transportation option. We planted roots in Los Angeles, California. Now, our fleet of electric scooters are available to riders in cities around the world for short trips or the “last mile” of their journey. In our first year, Bird launched in over 100 cities and provided over 10 million rides. And we’re only just getting started.
Birds R&D department is responsible for assessing new technologies, adapting existing technologies and ensuring products conform to all relevant safety, environmental & functional certifications. We support the Production Team whenever they encounter a problem during manufacturing. R&D also brings in new vehicle suppliers and ensures they conform to Birds strict quality and performance specifications. R&D has a large number of special projects in the pipeline ranging from small mechanical devices to complete vehicle systems.
Reporting to the Head of R&D, the Senior Mechanical Engineer will be responsible for engineering a multitude of mechanical projects. The Senior Mechanical Engineer will work closely with Project Managers, Electrical Engineers, Firmware Engineers, Technicians and other Bird team members to produce brilliantly engineered devices for use with Bird vehicles. To be successful in this role, you will need to be able to take a concept from sketch to FEA and through to production
- Be the main Solidworks authority within the R&D department
- Provide design direction of vehicle components, load cases, and validation testing.
- Develop design models and engineering drawings for new products and leverage team resources to complete your designs.
- FEA - develop load cases to model and to be used as test cases to correlate.
- Independently organize and manage multiple design projects from concept to complete drawings for production.
- Understanding of construction methods and tooling options as it relates to volume of production
- Design verification using FEA and motion studies.
- Experience with product development from concept to validation and deployment.
- History of making design decisions based on experience and FMEA understandings.
- Knowledge of automotive industry standards such as SAE, ISO, UL, and GB/T.
- Practical working experience with Geometric Dimensioning & Tolerancing (GD&T)
- Experience working with suppliers
- Proficient with basic Microsoft office tools (word, excel, PowerPoint).
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering
- Minimum 5 years of mechanical design experience
- Strong understanding of vehicle systems and their interactions
- Some NX experience
- Ability to think outside the box and find creative solutions
- A creative curiosity, collaborative ethic, hardworking enthusiasm, and driving personal vision
- Excellent communication skills and team-working tendencies
- Multi-tasking and self-starting
Culture at Bird
We're an ambitious, smart, and open-minded group. Our employees are passionate about our mission, and eager to complete their work at the highest level. The office itself is up tempo and supportive, because we care about each other. People first, people.
Bird is the world
Bird stands for a culture of inclusion. We celebrate different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives —encouraging everyone to bring their authentic selves to work. We have a diverse environment that empowers our team to feel comfortable when they voice their opinions. For these reasons and more Bird is a proud equal employment opportunity employer. We welcome everyone regardless of their race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or genetics, and we are dedicated to to providing an inclusive, open, and diverse work environment.
Sound like a place you’d like to work? Sweet. Let’s chat.