Director, Talent Operations & Total Rewards
Santa Monica, California
Talent & Recruiting – Talent
Who is Bird
At Bird, we’re on a mission to make cities more livable by reducing traffic and carbon emissions with an affordable, convenient, and eco-friendly transportation option. We planted roots in Los Angeles, California. Now, our fleet of electric scooters is available to riders in cities around the world for short trips or the “last mile” of their journey. In our first year, Bird launched in over 100 cities and provided over 10 million rides. And we’re only just getting started.
The Director, Talent Operations & Total Rewards will be charged with leading compensation, benefits, talent operations, and HRIS as a center of excellence within the Talent team globally. This role will be responsible for the design, development, and execution of a global Total Rewards strategy that aligns to the Bird’s strategic business goals. This role will be a critical contributor to a rapidly growing company and will have responsibility for managing the strategic direction. This role will act as a partner and subject matter expert to business clients, as well as improve the lives for every person in the Bird family.
- Lead the ongoing design of Bird’s global compensation and benefits programs, providing thought leadership for Bird’s total rewards value proposition for all employees
- Continuously evolve Bird’s compensation philosophy and framework, including position leveling, salary structure management, market intelligence, competitive pay positioning, and incentive programs
- Stay on top of best practices and industry trends
- Monitor the effectiveness of existing compensation policies, competitiveness, and fairness
- Develop appropriate trainings for both HRIS and compensation, providing company-wide support to all employees
- Design and maintain effective compensation governance company-wide
- Support the Talent and Recruiting teams on offer packages, benchmarking data, compensation philosophy, position leveling, and provide support during salary reviews
- Lead global benefits, such as health insurance, long-term incentive plans, and visa sponsorships
- Monitor and analyze ROI of current benefit offerings to ensure organizational relevance, fiscal responsibility, and high utilization
- Ensure the company’s compliance with local benefit laws and regulations including the timely and accurate completion of required financial or government filings
- Create appropriate HRIS strategies based on end user and business needs
- Evaluate, implement, and oversee all Talent systems to ensure business needs are being met and optimize the transitions to new systems when required
- Oversee sourcing new software programs, implementation, and external vendor management
- Interpret and advise on metadata across all business systems and make recommendations for system changes based on analysis
- Ensure HRIS services are in compliance with global regulatory requirements related to record keeping and reporting
- Bachelor’s degree required or equivalent
- 8+ years of compensation & benefits management or consulting experience
- 5+ years of HRIS experience
- 5+ years of experience managing a team
- Master's degree or equivalent
- Experience leading an international, 10+ person team that oversees compensation, benefits, talent operations, and HRIS
- Experience working in a global consumer technology company
- Proven ability leading Total Rewards in a fast-paced, rapidly evolving company
- Experience in building compensation functions and benefits programs from the ground up
- Functional knowledge of employment law, compliance, and performance management
- Global compensation and benefits experience, including visa administration and international employee transfers
- Capable of maintaining an extremely high level of confidentiality, professionalism and objectivity
- Experience managing in full system implementations, such as for Workday, ADP, PeopleSoft
- Strong project management and vendor management skills
- Experience with data management and transformation
- Proven analytical skills and the ability to create meaningful models, reports, metrics, and recommendations to stakeholders using the available data
- Deep knowledge of Talent business processes, policies, and programs (including payroll, benefits, compensation, and recruitment)
- Global experience, with knowledge of international employment, immigration laws, and government compliance regulations.
- Strong written, presentation, and verbal communication skills, with the ability to effectively communicate with both technical audiences and business users
- Ability to influence and develop strong cross-functional working relationships, including with senior management
- Proven project management skills with the ability to manage multiple projects at once
- Excel mastery
Culture at Bird
We're an ambitious, smart, and open-minded group. Our employees are passionate about our mission, and eager to complete their work at the highest level. The office itself is up tempo and supportive, because we care about each other. People first, people.
We want people to succeed at Bird, so we give our teams plenty of time off to relax and recharge. We also offer a generous employer-paid healthcare coverage, on-demand doctor visits, childcare support, a pre-tax commuter account for mass transit or parking, a wellness stipend, and more.
Bird is the world
Bird stands for a culture of inclusion. We celebrate different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives —encouraging everyone to bring their authentic selves to work. We have a diverse environment that empowers our team to feel comfortable when they voice their opinions. For these reasons and more Bird is a proud equal employment opportunity employer. We welcome everyone regardless of their race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or genetics, and we are dedicated to providing an inclusive, open, and diverse work environment.
Sound like a place you’d like to work? Sweet. Let’s chat.