Senior Manager, Technical Accounting
Santa Monica, California
Finance – Accounting
Who is Bird
At Bird, we’re on a mission to make cities more livable by reducing traffic and carbon emissions with an affordable, convenient, and eco-friendly transportation option. We planted roots in Los Angeles, California. Now, our fleet of electric scooters is available to riders in cities around the world for short trips or the “last mile” of their journey. In our first year, Bird launched in over 100 cities and provided over 10 million rides. And we’re only just getting started.
We are looking for a resourceful and self-driven senior manager of technical accounting to join our fast-growing accounting team, reporting to the Controller. The ideal candidate would have experience in M&A transactions, ASC 842 Leases, stock based compensation, internal use software, great analytical skills, attention to detail, and feel comfortable analyzing big data sets. The candidate would need to work cross functionally in a fast-paced environment to assist in structuring transactions, creating policy, and helping to mature accounting operations.
This position will be the accounting business partner to the corporate development and strategic finance teams, partnering with them on many innovative and confidential projects. This is an exciting opportunity to join a fast growing, industry leading startup as the first Technical Accounting Manager. This person will have tremendous impact and exposure across the organization
- Be the business partner to the corporate development and strategic finance teams
- Understand contemplated transactions, propose ideal structures from an accounting perspective, assist with diligence where needed and own any work with 3rd party accounting firms
- Own technical accounting policy and positions at Bird
- Lead adoption of ASC 842 and create policies and positions
- Lead the adoption of other new standards as applicable
- Stand-up stock based compensation accounting
- Stand-up internal use software accounting
- Assist with ASC 330 accounting
- Create a more controlled accounting environment
- Assist with financial statement preparation
- Assist with ad hoc projects
- Bachelor or Master degree in Accounting (CA, ACCA, CPA or equivalent is a plus)
- 7+ years of relevant work experience, preferably at a Big 4 Firm
- Experience with M&A, financings and other unique transactions
- Experience auditing or implementing new accounting standards
- Strong ability to multitask and work in a fast paced environment
- Exceptional organizational skills, detail-oriented mindset, and a high sense of urgency
- Advanced Microsoft Office skills
Culture at Bird
We're an ambitious, smart, and open-minded group. Our employees are passionate about our mission, and eager to complete their work at the highest level. The office itself is up tempo and supportive, because we care about each other. People first, people.
We want people to succeed at Bird, so we give our teams plenty of time off to relax and recharge. We also offer a generous employer-paid healthcare coverage, on-demand doctor visits, childcare support, a pre-tax commuter account for mass transit or parking, a wellness stipend, and more.
Bird is the world
Bird stands for a culture of inclusion. We celebrate different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives —encouraging everyone to bring their authentic selves to work. We have a diverse environment that empowers our team to feel comfortable when they voice their opinions. For these reasons and more Bird is a proud equal employment opportunity employer. We welcome everyone regardless of their race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or genetics, and we are dedicated to providing an inclusive, open, and diverse work environment.
Sound like a place you’d like to work? Sweet. Let’s chat.