Firmware Engineering Manager
Culver City, California
Vehicle – Vehicle Engineering
Who is Bird
At Bird, we’re on a mission to make cities more livable by reducing traffic and carbon emissions with an affordable, convenient, and eco-friendly transportation option. We planted roots in Los Angeles, California. Now, our fleet of electric scooters is available to riders in cities around the world for short trips or the “last mile” of their journey. In our first year, Bird launched in over 100 cities and provided over 10 million rides. And we’re only just getting started.
- Build and Scale high performing firmware team for a variety of hardware products, including Bird’s fleet of electric vehicles
- Work closely with Technical, Product and Project leadership to align project priorities and schedules
- Manage multiple interdependent projects of moderate to high complexity and scopes
- Collaborate with Electronics Engineers and Product Managers to develop firmware that meets product requirement
- Develop firmware installation and QC processes for new products
- Work with Data analytics teams to drive constant improvements in performance and reliability
- Develop release management pipeline for all firmware development
- Take finished products through all certifications for international use
- Build and maintain a culture that promotes best practices, reliable release and pragmatic engineering
- Experience managing firmware teams for tracking devices, control systems, and wireless products
- Familiarity with embedded languages, particularly with C
- Experience with firmware development, testing, and debugging
- Experience with FreeRTOS
- Experience with CANbus, UART, I2C, and SPI communications
- Knowledge of PCB design, using schematic capture and layout tools (Altium preferred)
- Advanced knowledge of Git
- Experience with Fi
- 2+ Years managing development teams of embedded systems.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience.
- Experience with backend systems
- Experience with IoT systems
- Experience with firmware development for both industrial and consumer products.
- Ability to provide timely reports to stakeholders and executives. Ability to articulate thoughts clearly and follow up on tasks and questions on behalf of engineers.
- Ability to communicate across a wide variety of functions and levels. Excellent interpersonal and analytical skills.
Culture at Bird
We're an ambitious, smart, and open-minded group. Our employees are passionate about our mission, and eager to complete their work at the highest level. The office itself is up tempo and supportive, because we care about each other. People first, people.
We want people to succeed at Bird, so we give our teams plenty of time off to relax and recharge. We also offer a generous employer-paid healthcare coverage, on-demand doctor visits, childcare support, a pre-tax commuter account for mass transit or parking, a wellness stipend, and more.
Bird is the world
Bird stands for a culture of inclusion. We celebrate different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives —encouraging everyone to bring their authentic selves to work. We have a diverse environment that empowers our team to feel comfortable when they voice their opinions. For these reasons and more Bird is a proud equal employment opportunity employer. We welcome everyone regardless of their race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or genetics, and we are dedicated to providing an inclusive, open, and diverse work environment.
Sound like a place you’d like to work? Sweet. Let’s chat.