Playa Vista, California
Vehicle – Vehicle Strategy
Who is Bird
At Bird, we’re on a mission to make cities more livable by reducing traffic and carbon emissions with an affordable, convenient, and eco-friendly transportation option. We planted roots in Los Angeles, California. Now, our fleet of electric scooters is available to riders in cities around the world for short trips or the “last mile” of their journey. In our first year, Bird launched in over 100 cities and provided over 10 million rides. And we’re only just getting started.
As member of the Process Engineering team, manufacturing engineers are responsible for driving service excellence and process improvement. This is an individual contributor role. Primary focus is: PFMEA open issues, ensuring service robustness, setting up and defining service processes, tool design, process improvement, and maintenance of all equipment.
- Design and implement fixtures, tools/tooling, and shop aids to improve serviceability of the product
- Responsible for defining the repair and inspection process for Bird vehicles and related components
- Develop, qualify, and refine service/repair processes to prolong product life
- Perform process analysis and optimization
- Work with design engineers to evaluate designs for serviceability and implementation in a rapidly-evolving environment
- Support / lead small projects from preliminary engineering, detail design, startup. Have capability to lead others to accomplish all project goals and objectives
- Quickly resolve non-conformances and work with the Quality team to implement root cause corrective actions
- Identify, plan, and execute capital equipment, machine, and layout upgrades to the meet volume demand
- Analyze, evaluate and propose equipment, process, and facility layout to ensure the most efficient operating conditions
- Generate and report project status and timelines
- Maintain safe and effective working standards for all personnel
- Troubleshoot/repair problems using standard test equipment and hand tools
- Degree in Mechanical or Industrial Engineering, BSME, BSEE preferred
- 5+ years experience on a manufacturing team
- Experience with appliance, automotive or electromechanical device manufacturing a plus
- Demonstrated expertise to effectively communicate within all levels of the organization around service/production and process controls; Corrective & Preventive Action (CAPA), consumer complaints, and product improvement activities
- Excellent oral communication & report, business correspondence & procedure-writing skills
- Change agent with energy, passion, and enthusiasm to drive change
- Understands use of hand tools in assembly lines, ergonomics and safety
- Lean, Six Sigma, TQM and JIT experience a plus
- Team player with excellent interpersonal skills. 'On the shop floor' attitude, hands on
- Experience with ERP and/or inventory management systems
- Background Supervising groups of people
- Ability to teach others
- Demonstrated understanding of product development lifecycles, design change and document change control, product and process verification and validation methodologies, and manufacturing / production process control methodologies
Culture at Bird
We're an ambitious, smart, and open-minded group. Our employees are passionate about our mission, and eager to complete their work at the highest level. The office itself is up tempo and supportive, because we care about each other. People first, people.
We want people to succeed at Bird, so we give our teams plenty of time off to relax and recharge. We also offer a generous employer-paid healthcare coverage, on-demand doctor visits, childcare support, a pre-tax commuter account for mass transit or parking, a wellness stipend, and more.
Bird is the world
Bird stands for a culture of inclusion. We celebrate different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives —encouraging everyone to bring their authentic selves to work. We have a diverse environment that empowers our team to feel comfortable when they voice their opinions. For these reasons and more Bird is a proud equal employment opportunity employer. We welcome everyone regardless of their race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or genetics, and we are dedicated to providing an inclusive, open, and diverse work environment.
Sound like a place you’d like to work? Sweet. Let’s chat.