EMEA Vehicle Security Engineer
Vehicle – Vehicle Engineering
Who is Bird
At Bird, we’re on a mission to make cities more livable by reducing traffic and carbon emissions with an affordable, convenient, and eco-friendly transportation option. We planted roots in Los Angeles, California. Now, our fleet of electric scooters are available to riders in cities around the world for short trips or the “last mile” of their journey. In our first year, Bird launched in over 100 cities and provided over 10 million rides. And we’re only just getting started.
As an EMEA Vehicle Security Engineer at Bird, you will engage with an experienced cross-disciplinary staff to conceive and design innovative products. You will work closely with an internal interdisciplinary team, and outside partners to validate and develop security best practices amongst the vehicle fleet and embedded systems. You must be responsive, flexible and able to succeed within an open collaborative peer environment. As part of the global vehicle security team, you will be responsible for implementation and review of security related portions of our embedded platforms. This includes the ability to respond and triage security incidents that are identified internally by the red team or through collaboration with external researchers and bug bounty programs. The main objective of this role is to support all the various IoT networks available on Bird’s development boards and OEM modules including supporting the embedded team. This role focuses on security related events pertaining to Europe, Middle East and Africa but will work directly with the rest of the global security team at Bird.
- Work with the vehicle team to improve the security of the current fleet of vehicles
- Working with firmware/software, real-time systems
- Understand low-level security software
- Familiarity of cryptography and embedded systems.
- Triaging security incidents and working with external researchers
- Reverse engineering and troubleshooting embedded systems
- 2+ years of relevant experience in the security industry
- Proficient with one or more programming languages such as C, C++, Assembly, Python, Java
- Experience in cryptographic systems design (i.e., algorithms, key management)
- Experience network design and protocols, penetration testing and defensive cyber operations
- Experience Reverse engineering
- A high learning agility and an interest in working in a start-up development environment
- Self driven, curious strong learner
- Experience with Agile methodology and team collaboration tools.
- Familiarity with Secure Boot, UEFI/BIOS, TPM and other features which help secure HW.
- Experience or knowledge of Trusted computing technologies like ARM TZ, Intel SGX and AMD SEV.
- Familiarity with laboratory tools such as debuggers, oscilloscopes, power supplies and multimeters.
- Experience with RTOS based multi-threaded application and bare metal embedded firmware design and development.
- Experience or familiarity with Linux kernel and driver development. Customizations to support security for the system.
Culture at Bird
We're an ambitious, smart, and open-minded group. Our employees are passionate about our mission, and eager to complete their work at the highest level. The office itself is up tempo and supportive, because we care about each other. People first, people.
Bird is the world
Bird stands for a culture of inclusion. We celebrate different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives —encouraging everyone to bring their authentic selves to work. We have a diverse environment that empowers our team to feel comfortable when they voice their opinions. For these reasons and more Bird is a proud equal employment opportunity employer. We welcome everyone regardless of their race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or genetics, and we are dedicated to to providing an inclusive, open, and diverse work environment.
Sound like a place you’d like to work? Sweet. Let’s chat.