Senior Operations Manager, Safety
Santa Monica, California
Operations – Trust & Safety
Who is Bird
At Bird, we’re on a mission to make cities more livable by reducing traffic and carbon emissions with an affordable, convenient, and eco-friendly transportation option. We planted roots in Los Angeles, California. Now, our fleet of electric scooters is available to riders in cities around the world for short trips or the “last mile” of their journey. In our first year, Bird launched in over 100 cities and provided over 10 million rides. And we’re only just getting started.
You will run the Bird Trust & Safety team to develop and manage a high performing team to provide exceptional level of service for our Riders, Chargers, and Mechanics. You’ll work across the business with star engineers and product designers, the legal team, and communication and policy experts in a fast-paced, rapidly growing, hybrid technology/operations environment to build and implement policy to engender trust among our users and promote safety across the Bird platform.
The role demands great technical depth, principled thinking, a stubborn refusal to settle, bold innovation, and a mentality of starting with the user and working backwards. The ideal candidate has built and led teams of leaders, is highly operational, highly entrepreneurial, and is obsessed with making every interaction count. They can dig deep into the data to solve operational issues, are always driving small improvements in process, hustles, inspires, and loves building something from nothing.
What You’ll Do:
- Direct analysis on projects/experiments to inform strategic decisions
- Identify operational weaknesses and improve or innovate new processes and product that affect rider interaction
- Work directly with Product to define and implement launch of new safety-related products
- Be accountable for the results of the Safety team and systems in its domain
- Collaborate with other teams to iterate and experiment with process and content (language, tone, format, etc.) to strive for the highest possible level of quality and consistency
- Own delivery of stakeholder reporting; content, cadence
- Make strategic decisions to prioritize within your functional area; identify and drive the team towards meeting KPI’s and SLAs; build reporting and communicate team results to a wide variety of stakeholders
- Oversee performance management of the Safety team
- Be a strong project and stakeholder manager with the ability to both plan and execute projects of varying urgency and scope with minimal guidance
- Collaborate with other teams to ensure efficiency and cross functional alignment as we scale
- Support a culture of continuous improvement to continually raise the bar of execution
- Positively lead the team through the complexities of a fast growing and dynamic startup
What You'll Need
- Experience with data driven decision making and sound business judgment through strong analytical thinking
- Proven collaborator and master disambiguator/simplifier - constantly pushing toward clarity and delivery
- Demonstrated ability to lead and develop leadersGrittiness.
- You never hesitate to roll up your sleeves, you persevere when others fall awayExcellent communication skills, ability to analyze data and convey results in a compelling way
- Experience with A/B testing
- Demonstrated ability to deliver results in a complex operational environment
- Passion for Bird’s mission and the company’s hybrid technology/operations nature
- Growth mindset: you seek out learning opportunities for yourself and the team
- Minimum 3+ years of relevant Ops, Product, or Project Management Experience
Nice to Haves
- Experience with Excel, SQL, and/or Tableau Zendesk familiarity (rules, triggers, automations, etc)
- Additional languages outside of english
Culture at Bird
We're an ambitious, smart, and open-minded group. Our employees are passionate about our mission, and eager to complete their work at the highest level. The office itself is up tempo and supportive, because we care about each other. People first, people.
We want people to succeed at Bird, so we give our teams plenty of time off to relax and recharge. We also offer a generous employer-paid healthcare coverage, on-demand doctor visits, childcare support, a pre-tax commuter account for mass transit or parking, a wellness stipend, and more.
Bird is the world
Bird stands for a culture of inclusion. We celebrate different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives —encouraging everyone to bring their authentic selves to work. We have a diverse environment that empowers our team to feel comfortable when they voice their opinions. For these reasons and more Bird is a proud equal employment opportunity employer. We welcome everyone regardless of their race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or genetics, and we are dedicated to providing an inclusive, open, and diverse work environment.
Sound like a place you’d like to work? Sweet. Let’s chat.