Corporate Counsel, Privacy and Product
Santa Monica, California
Legal – Legal
Who is Bird
At Bird, we’re on a mission to make cities more livable by reducing traffic and carbon emissions with an affordable, convenient, and eco-friendly transportation option. We planted roots in Los Angeles, California. Now, our fleet of electric scooters is available to riders in cities around the world for short trips or the “last mile” of their journey. In our first year, Bird launched in over 100 cities and provided over 10 million rides. And we’re only just getting started.
Our legal team is focused on helping Bird grow and scale while safeguarding its interests.We are looking to add a Corporate Counsel, Privacy and Product with 5-8 years of experience counseling companies on privacy and product-related compliance to handle a variety of corporate responsibilities. Reporting to Bird’s Deputy General Counsel, this position will support many of Bird’s business teams. This position will be located at Bird’s headquarters in Santa Monica, California.
Principal duties include providing ongoing legal counseling on global privacy law and product-related questions around Intellectual Property, user-facing messaging, and regulatory compliance:
- Advising on global privacy law compliance, including GDPR, data protection, data retention, data security, and data breach rules.
- Refine and implement Bird’s global privacy program
- Ensure compliance with U.S. and international laws and regulations dealing with intellectual property, consumer protection and advertising
- Respond promptly to a wide range of legal requests from Engineering, Product, Brand, and other business groups.
- Providing advice and transactional support on data and intellectual property license agreements
- Continually updating Bird’s user facing policies and agreements as the needs of the business evolve and in accordance with changes in laws and regulations
- Law degree from ABA accredited law school and membership in good standing of any state bar
- 5-8 years of relevant legal experience (a combination of law firm and in-house experience ideal)
- The poise and professionalism necessary to engage with senior leadership and executive staff, internal clients across the globe, and outside counsel.
- Well-organized and hard-working, with the ability to thrive in a fast-paced work environment and manage numerous projects simultaneously under deadline pressure.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment while working both autonomously and with teams.
- Unquestioned ethics and integrity, and appropriate risk tolerance for a fast-moving, fast-growing technology start up
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Experience representing clients in the technology or transportation industries preferred
Culture at Bird
We're an ambitious, smart, and open-minded group. Our employees are passionate about our mission, and eager to complete their work at the highest level. The office itself is up tempo and supportive, because we care about each other. People first, people.
We want people to succeed at Bird, so we give our teams plenty of time off to relax and recharge. We also offer a generous employer-paid healthcare coverage, on-demand doctor visits, childcare support, a pre-tax commuter account for mass transit or parking, a wellness stipend, and more.
Bird is the world
Bird stands for a culture of inclusion. We celebrate different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives —encouraging everyone to bring their authentic selves to work. We have a diverse environment that empowers our team to feel comfortable when they voice their opinions. For these reasons and more Bird is a proud equal employment opportunity employer. We welcome everyone regardless of their race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or genetics, and we are dedicated to providing an inclusive, open, and diverse work environment.
Sound like a place you’d like to work? Sweet. Let’s chat.