Motor Controls Engineer
Culver City, California
Vehicle – Vehicle Engineering
Who is Bird
At Bird, we’re on a mission to make cities more livable by reducing traffic and carbon emissions with an affordable, convenient, and eco-friendly transportation option. We planted roots in Los Angeles, California. Now, our fleet of electric scooters is available to riders in cities around the world for short trips or the “last mile” of their journey. In our first year, Bird launched in over 100 cities and provided over 10 million rides. And we’re only just getting started.
We are looking to hire a Motor Controls Engineer to help us get the most out of our vehicles and deliver on creating the best e-scooter on the planet. Reporting to the Lead Controls Engineer, they will collaborate with others on the Vehicle team to establish, write, and test proprietary algorithms.
What You'll Do:
- Design and implement control algorithms for electric machines in Simulink and C
- Create unit tests for control algorithms in Simulink
- Test and verify algorithms in dynamometer and in vehicle
- Post process test data from vehicle and dynamometer to identify issues and suggest improvements
What You'll Need:
- MSc in EE with concentration on power electronics or control
- Solid understanding of PM machine and power converter’s theory of operation and common control techniques
- Proficient in Simulink
- Familiar and comfortable working with coding languages like C
- 5 years’ experience in related roles (graduate study will be counted toward required years of experience)
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced startup environment
- Team player
Culture at Bird
We're an ambitious, smart, and open-minded group. Our employees are passionate about our mission, and eager to complete their work at the highest level. The office itself is up tempo and supportive, because we care about each other. People first, people.
We want people to succeed at Bird, so we give our teams plenty of time off to relax and recharge. We also offer a generous employer-paid healthcare coverage, on-demand doctor visits, childcare support, a pre-tax commuter account for mass transit or parking, a wellness stipend, and more.
Bird is the world
Bird stands for a culture of inclusion. We celebrate different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives —encouraging everyone to bring their authentic selves to work. We have a diverse environment that empowers our team to feel comfortable when they voice their opinions. For these reasons and more Bird is a proud equal employment opportunity employer. We welcome everyone regardless of their race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or genetics, and we are dedicated to providing an inclusive, open, and diverse work environment.
Sound like a place you’d like to work? Sweet. Let’s chat.