Senior Systems Engineer
Culver City, California
Vehicle – Vehicle Engineering
Who is Bird
At Bird, we’re on a mission to make cities more livable by reducing traffic and carbon emissions with an affordable, convenient, and eco-friendly transportation option. We planted roots in Los Angeles, California. Now, our fleet of electric scooters is available to riders in cities around the world for short trips or the “last mile” of their journey. In our first year, Bird launched in over 100 cities and provided over 10 million rides. And we’re only just getting started.
The Architecture team at bird is responsible for development of all vehicle components from concept to production. As a Senior Systems Engineer, you’ll have systems level design responsibility to help develop future Bird vehicles and guide technology development to establish key brand differentiators.
- Collaborate tightly with the mechanical, electrical, firmware, and product teams to design new features and mobility technology
- Help provide design direction of vehicle components, load cases, and validation testing
- Help develop system requirements as well as hardware and software architecture
- Develop vehicle models and engineering drawings for new products and leverage team resources to complete vehicle design
- Independently organize and manage multiple design projects from concept to complete drawings for production
- Co-develop internal tools for development and testing
- Work with the test and validation team to refine product roadmap
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or relevant experience
- 5+ years of mechanical/electrical/systems design experience
- Matlab/ Simulink modeling - Model based controls development a plus
- Hands on experience with electromechanical systems including PCB design and debug
- Understanding of construction methods and tooling options as it relates to volume of production
- Solid CAD skills (Solidworks or NX)
- Experience with product development from concept to validation and deployment
- History of making design decisions based on experience and FMEA understandings
- Experience interfacing with design validation teams and providing test support documents
- Knowledge of automotive industry standards such as SAE, ISO, UL, and GB/T
- Experience working with suppliers
- Proficient with basic Microsoft office tools (word, excel, PowerPoint)
- Ability to think outside the box and find practical creative solutions
- Strong understanding of vehicle systems and their interactions
- A creative curiosity, collaborative ethic, hardworking enthusiasm, and driving personal vision
- Excellent communication skills and team-working tendencies
- Multi-tasking and self-starting
Culture at Bird
We're an ambitious, smart, and open-minded group. Our employees are passionate about our mission, and eager to complete their work at the highest level. The office itself is up tempo and supportive, because we care about each other. People first, people.
We want people to succeed at Bird, so we give our teams plenty of time off to relax and recharge. We also offer a generous employer-paid healthcare coverage, on-demand doctor visits, childcare support, a pre-tax commuter account for mass transit or parking, a wellness stipend, and more.
Bird is the world
Bird stands for a culture of inclusion. We celebrate different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives —encouraging everyone to bring their authentic selves to work. We have a diverse environment that empowers our team to feel comfortable when they voice their opinions. For these reasons and more Bird is a proud equal employment opportunity employer. We welcome everyone regardless of their race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or genetics, and we are dedicated to providing an inclusive, open, and diverse work environment.
Sound like a place you’d like to work? Sweet. Let’s chat.