Head of Prototype Development
Culver City, California
Vehicle – Vehicle Engineering
Who is Bird
At Bird, we’re on a mission to make cities more livable by reducing traffic and carbon emissions with an affordable, convenient, and eco-friendly transportation option. We planted roots in Los Angeles, California. Now, our fleet of electric scooters is available to riders in cities around the world for short trips or the “last mile” of their journey. In our first year, Bird launched in over 100 cities and provided over 10 million rides. And we’re only just getting started.
The Architecture team at bird is responsible for development of all vehicle components from concept to production. As Head of Prototype Development, you will be key in the development and builds of vehicles and guide technology development that establish key brand differentiators.
- Collaborate tightly with the design, product, and engineering teams to design new features and mobility technology
- Provide design input and guidance to the architecture team during prototype development
- Build and fabricate concepts
- Design tools, jigs, fabrication processes to aid the build of prototypes
- Source and manage local fabrication vendors and suppliers
- Minimum 15 years fabrication and prototyping experience
- Fully proficient in setting up and operating machine tools such as lathes, milling machines, shapers, grinders and Computer Numerical Control (CNC) equipment to machine parts to specifications
- Hands on experience with fabrication and assembly of electromechanical systems
- Solid CAD skills (Solidworks or NX)
- Ability to generate assembly prints and drawings
- Practical working experience with Geometric Dimensioning & Tolerancing (GD&T)
- Proficient with basic Microsoft office tools (word, excel, PowerPoint).
- Technical trade college experience a plus
- Ability to think outside the box and find practical creative solutions
- Strong understanding of vehicle systems and their interactions
- A creative curiosity, collaborative ethic, hardworking enthusiasm, and driving personal vision
- Excellent communication skills and team-working tendencies
- Multi-tasking and self-startings
Culture at Bird
We're an ambitious, smart, and open-minded group. Our employees are passionate about our mission, and eager to complete their work at the highest level. The office itself is up tempo and supportive, because we care about each other. People first, people.
We want people to succeed at Bird, so we give our teams plenty of time off to relax and recharge. We also offer a generous employer-paid healthcare coverage, on-demand doctor visits, childcare support, a pre-tax commuter account for mass transit or parking, a wellness stipend, and more.
Bird is the world
Bird stands for a culture of inclusion. We celebrate different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives —encouraging everyone to bring their authentic selves to work. We have a diverse environment that empowers our team to feel comfortable when they voice their opinions. For these reasons and more Bird is a proud equal employment opportunity employer. We welcome everyone regardless of their race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or genetics, and we are dedicated to providing an inclusive, open, and diverse work environment.
Sound like a place you’d like to work? Sweet. Let’s chat.