Vehicle – Vehicle Engineering
Who is Bird
At Bird, we’re on a mission to make cities more livable by reducing traffic and carbon emissions with an affordable, convenient, and eco-friendly transportation option. We planted roots in Los Angeles, California. Now, our fleet of electric scooters are available to riders in cities around the world for short trips or the “last mile” of their journey. In our first year, Bird launched in over 100 cities and provided over 10 million rides. And we’re only just getting started.
This role is based in Shanghai, you will report to the GM of China.
- Responsible for overseeing the build and inspection process for Bird vehicles and related component
- Develop, qualify, and refine manufacturing processes to bring products from prototype to high-volume production
- Work with US engineers to evaluate designs for manufacturability and implementation in a rapidly-evolving production environment
- Quickly resolve non-conformances and work with the Quality team to implement root cause corrective actions
- Identify, plan, and execute capital equipment, machine, and layout upgrades to the meet volume production demand
- Analyze, evaluate and propose equipment, process, and facility layout to ensure the most efficient operating conditions
- Generate and report project status and timelines
- Maintain safe and effective working standards for all personnel
- 5+ years of manufacturing engineering experience
- Be proficient in both English and Chinese (Mandarin)
- Mid to Senior Level
- Fundamental to advanced knowledge of good manufacturing processes/ methods, process capabilities, tooling processes, and machining processes
- Experience implementing/applying Lean Tools such as 5S, VSM, standard work, Kanban, A3 Thinking, 8D root cause analysis, etc.
- DOE - validation and test experience
- Experience with PFEMA or similar risk assessments
- Strong math and analytical skills
- Experience working in an AS9100 or ISO9001 environment
- Understanding of GD&T
- Proficient using Microsoft Office suite, 3D CAD (SolidWorks - preferred, Catia, ProE, or similar), ERP system(s)
- B.S. or higher in Manufacturing (preferred), Mechanical, Industrial, or Aeronautical Engineering
- Strong written and oral communication skills with the ability to build strong and sustainable relationships within all levels
- Experience with machining; automation experience a plus
- Comfortable working in a high volume fast paced environment
- Ability to work independently with minimal direction
- Flexible work schedule
- Willingness to travel
Culture at Bird
We're an ambitious, smart, and open-minded group. Our employees are passionate about our mission, and eager to complete their work at the highest level. The office itself is up tempo and supportive, because we care about each other. People first, people.
Bird is the world
Bird stands for a culture of inclusion. We celebrate different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives —encouraging everyone to bring their authentic selves to work. We have a diverse environment that empowers our team to feel comfortable when they voice their opinions. For these reasons and more Bird is a proud equal employment opportunity employer. We welcome everyone regardless of their race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or genetics, and we are dedicated to to providing an inclusive, open, and diverse work environment.
Sound like a place you’d like to work? Sweet. Let’s chat.