Mechanical Engineer - Sustaining
Culver City, California
Vehicle – Vehicle Engineering
Who is Bird
At Bird, we’re on a mission to make cities more livable by reducing traffic and carbon emissions with an affordable, convenient, and eco-friendly transportation option. We planted roots in Los Angeles, California. Now, our fleet of electric scooters is available to riders in cities around the world for short trips or the “last mile” of their journey. In our first year, Bird launched in over 100 cities and provided over 10 million rides. And we’re only just getting started.
As member of the Sustaining Engineering team, Electrical Sustaining Engineers are responsible for continuous improvement and manufacturing excellence for existing products.
- Lead sustaining and continuous improvement projects from concept to post release with strong sense of urgency
- Lead post-launch sustaining activities intended to support a smooth transition into production while maintaining high quality standards
- Be responsible for managing medium-large scale and/or moderately complex departmental, cross-functional, and at times international development projects
- Act as liaison between design engineering, product management, operations, quality, supply chain and other stakeholders to identify and prioritize critical project milestones and deliverables
- Present engineering feedback and best practices information to local and offshore engineering teams and suppliers
- Establish DVP&R test plans for components and assemblies
- Ensure that parts and assembly processes adhere to DFM and PFMEA principles
- Develop and maintain technical and project documentation, including deliverables
- Work collaboratively with other design centers, manufacturing plants and strategic suppliers as needed
- Bachelor’s (B.S.) Degree in Mechanical Engineering, or other technical discipline, from an accredited institution
- 3+ years leading cross-functional project teams without direct supervisory responsibilities
- 3+ years of engineering design and manufacturing experience in a med-high to high volume production facility and product development environment
- Experience working with domestic, overseas suppliers and contract manufacturers
- Experience with product qualification, testing and validation
- Experience working in an AS9100 or ISO9001 environment
- Be flexible to travel domestically and internationally according to business necessity, up to 10% of time
- Practical working experience with Geometric Dimensioning & Tolerancing (GD&T)and tolerance stack analysis
- Fundamental to advanced knowledge of good manufacturing processes/methods, process capability, part tooling and machining processes
- Experience designing products that are exposed to outdoor environments
- Injection molding and die casting and process experience
- Highly detail oriented, organized and organizationally agile individual preferred
- Have knowledge of NPI and product development process
- Proficient using Microsoft Office suite and G-Suite, Microsoft Project (or similar), 3D CAD (SolidWorks - preferred, Catia, ProE, or similar), ERP system(s)
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with the ability to build strong and sustainable relationships within all levels
Culture at Bird
We're an ambitious, smart, and open-minded group. Our employees are passionate about our mission, and eager to complete their work at the highest level. The office itself is up tempo and supportive, because we care about each other. People first, people.
We want people to succeed at Bird, so we give our teams plenty of time off to relax and recharge. We also offer a generous employer-paid healthcare coverage, on-demand doctor visits, childcare support, a pre-tax commuter account for mass transit or parking, a wellness stipend, and more.
Bird is the world
Bird stands for a culture of inclusion. We celebrate different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives —encouraging everyone to bring their authentic selves to work. We have a diverse environment that empowers our team to feel comfortable when they voice their opinions. For these reasons and more Bird is a proud equal employment opportunity employer. We welcome everyone regardless of their race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or genetics, and we are dedicated to providing an inclusive, open, and diverse work environment.
Sound like a place you’d like to work? Sweet. Let’s chat.